After sound theory?

Started by
2 comments, last by Slowermind 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey guys, so im researching sound theory and just looking for suggestions for where I should start reading after I finish. Ive never been into sound design really up until the point where I started designing a video game, so im very new to this. I thought sound theory should be the first thing I learn about but then I wanted to follow it up with reading something on how to design 8-bit like sounds and the like, more specific to video games. Any tips are helpful. Thanks in advance! :)

-Matt

Advertisement
One point in sound design is that most of the sounds are designed in layers. As in music you will most likely the best result when you have bass, middle and high stuff.

In 8-bit stuff the sounds can be created with different oscillators as in synths. The sounds can then be modulated and filtered.

To get your hands on you can try the http://www.bfxr.net which works also online.

It's really hard to write here with my phone so sorry for the short answer :)

no problem man, thanks for the help, Ill give the synths a try and see what I can make, and that website is a dandy little tool as well :D

-Matt

If you're talking about music, you can either buy a midi-keyboard, or just use any tab editor out there with midi-export feature (guitar pro is the most popular one, but don't buy 6th version - it is rather crappy). If you use only tab editor, you won't have to worry about your playing skills :) The program will play everything itself - just give it what to play.

Dev.blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement