Compilers

Started by
26 comments, last by ccuccherini 7 years, 9 months ago

I sense a lots of elitism in this comment.

Linux users. Can't live with 'em, can't :-( YOUR PC RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Advertisement

when everybody has an SSD in their system.

False. My work PC is a regular HDD due to various project-specific requirements. Plus:

1. not everyone can actually afford the latest and greatest PCs
2. not everyone who can afford a newer PC, and has a newer PC, actually uses an SSD as their boot drive or program install drive.

when everybody has an SSD in their system.

False. My work PC is a regular HDD due to various project-specific requirements. Plus:1. not everyone can actually afford the latest and greatest PCs2. not everyone who can afford a newer PC, and has a newer PC, actually uses an SSD as their boot drive or program install drive.

SSDs are pretty cheap nowadays, especially the sizes you need for an OS and couple of dev tools. It's an inexpensive way to improve the reaction times of your tools, so it's mostly safe to expect any devs to have one. If they don't, they can be considered exceptions.

That's why I don't think IDE startup times matter. And even on an hdd, starting up VS doesn't take much time. Not to mention you are doing that once per a long coding session.

shaken, not stirred

I sense a lots of elitism in this comment.

Linux users. Can't live with 'em, can't :-( YOUR PC RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART

I'm developing on linux at work, and I have a great c++ IDE (CLion) at hand. So it's not linux. :)

Anyway, we are diverging too much from the original question. The rule of thumb, always takr the easiest route, that still.let's you work efficiently. You gain back investments into tools surprisingly quickly.

shaken, not stirred

You can download and install Visual Studio Community edition for free. Remember to select the C++ environment since it is not enable by default in VS 2015.

You can get it from here: https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

There are also the express edition which are lighter to download and install and are still free (and doesn't have any commercial limitation) however they do not support the installation of 3rd party plug-ins, and the C++ support comes in two distinct edition (one for traditional Desktop and one for Microsoft Store UWP applications).

What commercial restrictions does visual studio community have?

To the best of my knowledge and reading the license you can still use it for commercial works but there are some weird restrictions on team size, business size and turnover?

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/262916/understanding-visual-studio-community-edition-license

Unless you're a really big indie, or not an indie/lone wolf at all, it shouldn't be an issue for you...?

I think everyone isn't pointing out that mingw is a compiler suit that is used by majority of ide's. Its a tool kit package for software development. Now Visual Studio is a very nice ide.

It does come with a compiler and the rest of the tool kit package as well. So since that is the case I would go with visual studio when designing on windows.

However you could just use dev-C++. The Dev-c++ isn't a compiler its a ide the compiler it use is an older mingw suite so you could tweak it to use the newer mingw.

I recommend you study the enivironment a little before moving on.

Bring more Pain

SSDs are pretty cheap nowadays, especially the sizes you need for an OS and couple of dev tools. It's an inexpensive way to improve the reaction times of your tools, so it's mostly safe to expect any devs to have one. If they don't, they can be considered exceptions.

Not all project organizations support that workflow. I will reiterate my earlier statement:

My work PC is a regular HDD due to various project-specific requirements.

I do actually have an SSD on my work PC, but it's much too small. Where would I get an >3TB SSD that's cheaper than an HDD?

Also, smaller studios may not be able to spare the funds for such extravagances. Likewise, individuals may barely have enough funds available for a PC at all, never mind the latest and greatest. Beginners in particular often end up learning on old or underpowered hardware. Their needs and desires are as real as your own, exceptions though you may believe them to be (they are not). Don't make sweeping, dismissive statements that assume everyone's circumstances are the same as yours.

I will now return to lurker mode before we go further off-topic and this devolves into a thread on socioeconomics and the finer points of project-specific development environment constraints.

Not all project organizations support that workflow. I will reiterate my earlier statement:

My work PC is a regular HDD due to various project-specific requirements.

I do actually have an SSD on my work PC, but it's much too small. Where would I get an >3TB SSD that's cheaper than an HDD?Also, smaller studios may not be able to spare the funds for such extravagances. Likewise, individuals may barely have enough funds available for a PC at all, never mind the latest and greatest. Beginners in particular often end up learning on old or underpowered hardware. Their needs and desires are as real as your own, exceptions though you may believe them to be (they are not). Don't make sweeping, dismissive statements that assume everyone's circumstances are the same as yours.I will now return to lurker mode before we go further off-topic and this devolves into a thread on socioeconomics and the finer points of project-specific development environment constraints.

I think you misunderstood my replies. I was using SSDs as an example, why IDE startup times does not matter. The project size, and or the project location has very little to do with that. Exception below.

Intellisense and such features could potentially need to parse your project at startup time (but most of the results are cached), so yeah if you have the code on an hdd, that's the only thing that slowes down when opening projects first.

shaken, not stirred

This discussion about SSDs is a bit too much of a tangent. Please take it elsewhere if you'd like to continue.

I may quietly remove future posts that drift too far afield from the OPs query about compilers. Please remember that this is the beginners forum.
Code::Blocks is still a great IDE that can be MinGW powered, much in the way DevC++ used to be

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement