A pretty specific question..?

Started by
8 comments, last by Brian Sandberg 7 years, 7 months ago

So, I have a very... VERY basic understanding of C# and have coded the absolute basic, 1 level platormer before like 3 years ago at college. Yes, I know, Bethesda should have hired me years ago...

But seriously, me and my friends (Slightly more qualified than I am with coding and game design) have an idea for a game that is similar to TEW 2016, WMMA 4 or on a bigger scale, Football Manager. (Essentially sports management type games) These games are pretty big, especially FM, it is huge and developed by a massive team within SEGA. But, basically, in short, what particular game engine should I go about making a game similar? On a HUGELY smaller scale to the games mentioned, of course. But I just don't know where too look, or how to begin. Being pretty damn noobish, but I'm happy to give it a go, you won't need to tell me I need more experience in this and that, just give me suggestions on where too look and I'll be eternally grateful!

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
The current go-to answer for people with C# experience is to try Unity and see if it does what you need. I know nothing at all about sports management types of games or what they involve, though.

a pretty specific question...

He-he. Can you be more specific :) ^_^

There is no singular answer. But if you want to use a AAA of-the-shelf and initially-free* game-engine, then you're going to end up choosing between either "Unreal" or "Unity".

a pretty specific question...

He-he. Can you be more specific :) ^_^

There is no singular answer. But if you want to use a AAA of-the-shelf and initially-free* game-engine, then you're going to end up choosing between either "Unreal" or "Unity".

Considering those games are more GUI based, would those too not really be the best idea? I've heard Unity's GUI is not great, although I have been aimed towards the asset store before!

Then it's "Visual Studio" for you, I imagine. I believe Microsoft still offers certain versions of it for free.

me and my friends (Slightly more qualified than I am with coding

Maybe you should let them pick the engine then. Decide which of you is going to be the Technical Director and make that person responsible for choose the core technology to build from.

Considering those games are more GUI based, would those too not really be the best idea? I've heard Unity's GUI is not great, although I have been aimed towards the asset store before!

Football Manager is very GUI-centric, yes, but it's _hardly_ outside the capabilities of Unity.

Football Manager:

maxresdefault.jpg

Something in Unity:

33wb4hz.jpg

Then it's "Visual Studio" for you, I imagine. I believe Microsoft still offers certain versions of it for free.

Visual Studio Community is their free, fully-featured development environment intended for hobbyists, students, and (very) small software development firms.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement