Getting more curious and curious

Started by
12 comments, last by stryfe1986 7 years, 6 months ago

While writing games, I was always interested in “how this worked”. So I made games while working on a miniature framework of my own, and sometimes did mundane tasks such as reimplementing strcpy() or anything I was inspired to do. While also making games.

Isnt that jack of all trade master of none thing?

Advertisement

Nope, I see it as gaining specialties. Implementing more and more details until you know all the critical details, then jumping down into an even more specialized area. Once in that specialty, learning more and more details, becoming expert all the way down.

I don’t even agree with the basic premise. Why can’t you master all? Exactly what preventative barrier exists?

These obnoxious little slogans such as, “Make games, not engines,” and, “Jack of all, master of none,” put us into a mindset that causes these little catch-phrases to be true.

If I want to be a programmer, does that mean I have to not be an artist? My avatar is a pencil-and-paper drawing, details in my signature.

I also make my own music (details in signature). After I skipped 4 years in science in school I decided to write my own physics engine, which lead me to create a graphics engine so that I could see the physics in motion, which lead me to being a senior graphics programmer at Square Enix on Final Fantasy XV, but my passion was always in AI, so after graduating from Stanford’s AI course I am currently focusing on AI in my career.

Could you imagine if I had said, before all of these academic ventures, “I am interested in a lot of things, so I should just dip into it and not get too deep”?

Yes, then I would just be a jack of all and a master of none. What a pathetic self-defeating attitude to life.

Get out there and leave your footprint. This world is not for testing, it is for mastering. There is literally nothing stopping you except some kind of self-defeating attitude that tells you that you have to either master one, or basically explore all. No. You do all, you master all. No excuses.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I don’t even agree with the basic premise. Why can’t you master all? Exactly what preventative barrier exists?
These obnoxious little slogans such as, “Make games, not engines,” and, “Jack of all, master of none,” put us into a mindset that causes these little catch-phrases to be true.

If I want to be a programmer, does that mean I have to not be an artist? My avatar is a pencil-and-paper drawing, details in my signature.
I also make my own music (details in signature). After I skipped 4 years in science in school I decided to write my own physics engine, which lead me to create a graphics engine so that I could see the physics in motion, which lead me to being a senior graphics programmer at Square Enix on Final Fantasy XV, but my passion was always in AI, so after graduating from Stanford’s AI course I am currently focusing on AI in my career.

Could you imagine if I had said, before all of these academic ventures, “I am interested in a lot of things, so I should just dip into it and not get too deep”?
Yes, then I would just be a jack of all and a master of none. What a pathetic self-defeating attitude to life.

Get out there and leave your footprint. This world is not for testing, it is for mastering. There is literally nothing stopping you except some kind of self-defeating attitude that tells you that you have to either master one, or basically explore all. No. You do all, you master all. No excuses.

L. Spiro

This is awesome, I liked your story. You know about 10 years ago I went off to college to pursue Game Design, but switched majors to Visual FX & Motion Picture in Media Arts. Sometimes I sit here and ask myself, What If I had stayed with Game Design?
So recently I decided to take up the task without a formal college course and see how far I can get into it. With the increasing amount of tutorials that I have found online I think I can at least learn to use Unity.

My interest has always been in Level Design, I'm not sure I'll be able to learn it all in the same way as I would have in college. I may learn it better, I may not, I am not sure, However I do have the desire to learn, to accomplish, and if capable, start a career in the field.

The moral of my story is, it doesn't matter how you start or when, it's the journey you take. So might as well make the best journey you can, while staying true to your passion.

Sincerely,

Trapper

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement