My Scene For My Project

Started by
9 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

So I've been working on this scene for a bit now, and I'd love to share some of the more finalized shots with y'all.

I'd also love to hear y'alls thoughts.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll also be posting more pics later, if people want to see more.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

The shading is very flat, just loading these assets into a BPR engine like Unity or Unreal will dramatically improve the look of the game.

Because everything is the exact same color its hard to see the shape of the objects, you can fix this by adding some lights to tint things.

The theme is good, feels like a holy place.

Good depth, the light from the balcony makes it feel that there is more to see just out of reach.

Good re-use of assets, it isn't clear that they are mostly copies.

The shading is very flat, just loading these assets into a BPR engine like Unity or Unreal will dramatically improve the look of the game.

Because everything is the exact same color its hard to see the shape of the objects, you can fix this by adding some lights to tint things.

The theme is good, feels like a holy place.

Good depth, the light from the balcony makes it feel that there is more to see just out of reach.

Good re-use of assets, it isn't clear that they are mostly copies.

Yea these are currently all Arnold renders. I can definitely put it into Unity and give it a shot, although I've always had some issues with transferring assets from Maya to Unity.

For some odd reason the pictures seem a bit darker than they looked on my machine. Strange. I do have some brighter pictures, although the UVs were a bit messed up here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6740da4zk4vw7e/finalrenderCover.jpg?dl=0

I was trying to darken it down a bit, so that the mood changed a bit.

EDIT: I should also note that games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne heavily inspired this scene, and that it's also in part based off la Catedral de Toledo, in case anyone was wondering.

The brighter scene is more clear, however you lose the atmosphere. Use the dark scene with small point lights behind bends and such to make them pop out. Using light with a slight yellow tinge will match your theme.

I've always had some issues with transferring assets from Maya to Unity.

Unity has lots of problems importing from any 3D software, you can ask here I have solved most of them and other people on this website uses Unity on a daily bases.

I would recommend Unreal, its the perfect engine for artist.

I like the altar and the general architecture... I agree witblh scouting ninja however that the scene currently looks a little flat.

I think besides the shading some postprocessing effects would also help to make a dark scene like this pop more.

good rays / lightbeams for the windows, some bloom to make the candles stand out more. Maybe give a full volumetric lighting system a try, there is a very good one floating around in the unity forums which a very nice unity user has open sourced and works like a charm in my prototype scene.

One thing I am not sure about is the bright white text on the ground... should this be glowing? Looks like it. Again, a little bloom would make this clearer...

I've always had some issues with transferring assets from Maya to Unity.

Unity has lots of problems importing from any 3D software, you can ask here I have solved most of them and other people on this website uses Unity on a daily bases.

I would recommend Unreal, its the perfect engine for artist.

I would have tended to agree with that statement up to Unity 5.3... since that version, most import woes are gone. Works like a charm for blender and 3D Coat models, haven't tried yet importing a ZBrush model directly, haven't used Maya since a year so cannot comment on that.

But generally, I personally found it easier throwing together a quick scene in Unity. Personal opinion of course, and Unity still has many pitfalls. Still, as long as we don't go into the "Blueprint vs Unity C#" discussion (which will turn into a discussion about personal taste quickly), I can also recommend the newer versions of Unity. Aside from some remaining woes *cough*Lightmap Baking*cough*, Unity has recovered from the 5.0 disaster upgrade quite well.

I would have tended to agree with that statement up to Unity 5.3... since that version, most import woes are gone.

True lots of the problems where fixed but there are still a huge amount of them:

Scale and rotation import problems, a huge pain when doing a lot of models. A lack of collision tools. Doesn't support a back and forth workflow between 3D software and engine; making level design much harder than it needs to be.

Unity doesn't support all animation types, re-targeting animations is a huge pain when compared with Unreal, animation optimizing has a lot of holes. Materials and texture have very limited options unless you use code.Smoothing groups can cause problems with normal maps. Very limited real-time mesh tools. Textures load wrong in webGl when using Chrome or Fox, causing memory leaks.

Last is the limited performance tools and instancing support.

However in Unity's defence, it's better at batching than Unreal, maybe the easiest engine to learn and use. The best engine for single developers, a good market place. Because it doesn't have all these tools it's a light engine with all you need to make a game.

Most of the above problems are only visible in large projects and they do have workarounds or you could use plugins to fix.

Alright guys, thanks for the advice. I've added some volumetric lighting. There's a picture attached. Let me know what y'all think now!

What do you mean by adding bloom to the candle lights?

There's a picture attached. Let me know what y'all think now!

That looks ten times better, I can even see details I missed the first time.

if you want to push it further you can add some dirt: http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/648-to-dirt-or-not-3ds-max-by-oxhido-scene-building-church-alley

As is it's better than most work seen in indie games and if you plan on doing everything yourself you can't get hung up on once scene too long.

There's a picture attached. Let me know what y'all think now!

That looks ten times better, I can even see details I missed the first time.

if you want to push it further you can add some dirt: http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/648-to-dirt-or-not-3ds-max-by-oxhido-scene-building-church-alley

As is it's better than most work seen in indie games and if you plan on doing everything yourself you can't get hung up on once scene too long.

Cool, I will certainly look into the dirt tutorial. The only reason I didn't add any initially was because I thought that it would maybe detract from the clean look it currently has.

I was actually wondering if adding in rugs, maybe some chandeliers, and a little bit of variety on the architecture would be of use as well? I will also be adding more statues in general, as it's currently in sore need of some at least. I'll maybe even add in some more bass relief architecture in areas where it makes sense. Let me know what you think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement