Novice needs a guide

Started by
4 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 4 months ago
So I do write my ideas down on some picket note books, but I want to express them in what may be considered the "industry standard". Is there any such format? Like for dialogue, setting, level design, description of events, ect.

I mainly ask for the purposes of submitting a writing sample as I grow in my own and seek feedback.
Advertisement

There isn't one single industry standard. Screenplay or comic script format, storyboard format, flowchart format, mind map format, and spreadsheets may all be used; the needs of a game with an interactive storyline are drastically different than the needs of a game with a linear storyline. Free-roam games vs. on-rails games also have different needs.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

There isn't one single industry standard. Screenplay or comic script format, storyboard format, flowchart format, mind map format, and spreadsheets may all be used; the needs of a game with an interactive storyline are drastically different than the needs of a game with a linear storyline. Free-roam games vs. on-rails games also have different needs.

Possible to link a few examples? So far I am basically writing like a book or scripts you see on TV for dialogue.

This is the kind of question google is for. There are plenty of webpages about how to write a video game script and there are also scripts of published games available on the internet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22game+script%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=%22video+game+script%22

If you want more specific results you have to focus on a particular genre or narrative structure type.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

There isn't only one correct rule. In the end you need to create a story that tells the player something. Storytelling can be done by focusing on different senses and therefore maybe will be displayed as pictures and not as sounds..... or vice versa.

But like @sunandshadow already pointed you to video game scripting, like every story it has a start, a climax and an end. And in between there are many different steps with conditions and so on. So you need some kind of script that gives you the possibility to focus on implementation of different parts.

But I am sure, there are people outside that have their own kind of storytelling and they will be also tell a story in their own way. This means, try to find a way to include everything necessary how ever you will write it down, and if the reader will understand it, you can see it immediatelly!

Indie Unity & iOS Developer

[twitter]xandru.cea[/twitter]
Website

As they said,

It really depends on the type of game.

Most game types can use scripts, but there are others that prose will suffice.

Honestly,

Focus on the content 1st.

The format only matters if you get really serious.

It would be a very time consuming process to write all your stuff as scripts.

Focus on your target market, and look up examples.

I'd prefer bringing on a writer with good voice, tone, structure, etc,and prose format, than poor voice, tone, structure, etc, and good formatting.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement