Hey guys, what's up?
I recently discovered both Unity and Duality, and it's got me back into developing games. I know C# well and my graphic design skills (which are like SNES at best lol) are just right for some old-fashioned 2D awesomeness. But there's one big problem: physics. At this point I'm working mainly in Duality, but the problem applies to Unity as well. I don't know Jack about physics; in college I aced all things language, so learning programming languages was easy - but I s*cked big time at algebra (in fact I had to take a remedial course and almost flunked that). It was always super-abstract, super-confusing, and super-pointless IMO. Now 15 years later I'm an experienced programmer - who still doesn't know Jack about physics. :D
And unfortunately, everything I've found on Google seems to be geared toward aliens - its explanations use so much cryptic lingo that it may as well be written in an extraterrestrial dialect. I'm sorry, but I don't see how "angular damping", "restitution", "linear velocity" and other Jargonian phrases can be translated into how to make a player walk (forget stop), an enemy gun fire player-seeking missile, or an object continue moving at the same speed after the game has been "un-paused". All of the game-specific scenarios mentioned above are things I've been able to do when building a game from scratch, and I know a few oversimplifications (mass means weight, velocity means speed, etc.), but in Duality I'm finding I'm completely lost. I'm not trying to build a Tardis, for cryin' out loud! :D
Are there any tutorials available out there that explain this stuff in a way that makes sense to the average Earthling? Someone asked a similar question on their forum, but it looks like it was pretty much unanswered. I think it's partly because Duality itself is a fairly new name in the game dev world, and probably doesn't get many second looks since it's UI makes it look like a Unity wanna-be. But it really is a great engine; just the fact that it has physics is pretty sweet. But I'd do a lot better with X's and Y's lol... unless somehow I can find a way to decrypt this mess lol.