RTS game ideas

Started by
9 comments, last by thekid 24 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I am in the design process of a RTS game. It will be similar to Age of Empires II. I will probably do it in isometric. What are all of your favorite features of a RTS game? What are some new features I should add? Any other advice on making a RTS? Thankz
Advertisement
You could include advanced reschearch management. I think that''s cool!
(Planning to do the same in my game, too.)
I like the outlining of the unit that is behind a building, like in AoK. I think a neat idea for an RTS is disasters. Age of Kings never had disasters, and I was disappointed. I am creating a RTS with disasters also. Good luck on your game! Bye!
many diffrent units, each one having its own special abalities and drawbacks. this so you can apply very diffrent and creative strategies with special challenges. another neat thing is tatical and combat bonuses when on higher grounds and in protection of buildings, trees or rocks. also implenting a level/experience system with all your units could be quite cool, making units with more combat experience superior.

Edited by - Staffan on 1/22/00 8:52:40 AM
To expand on what steffan says, I really like deformable terrain. It adds all sorts of new strategies one would never think of. The only disadvantage is thatyou have to be careful not to give the player too much power in modifying the landscape (it should still retain the same basic shape! ).

--TheGoop
Somehow adding supply lines into the equation. In all the RTS games I have played, once you collect a resource, it is magically available anywhere on the map. The result is that one peon, miles away from the rest of your forces, can construct an entire new city.

This is one thing that really annoys me about AOK -- it is so based on infestation, building, destroy with buildings.

It would be nice to see an army that fights better when it is well supplied, as well...It would deepen the strategies involved quite a bit.

Of course, you need to balance all of this with not making the creation of these supply lines too much of a pain...

I believe some of this is discussed in _Game_Architechture_And_Design_ (A great book!)

Notwen
Notwenwww.xbox.com
If you want to add realism, add the folowing

-Siege weapons hould need pepoles to operate them and push them (in most ame they move with no help...magic?).

-Normaly, you can only set an house in fire....and letit burn...faster destruction
hey thanx for the tips. I already had plans for the supply-line thing. Also I had an idea of having weather conditions effect both farming and fighting. Aslo realistic farming including livestock. Maybe also you must produce a horse in your livestock farm before you can make a calvary type unit. Please check my web site soon I will have a page devoted to this game.

again thanks
You could also handle the construction of buildings like in EARTH 2140 - using construction vehicles. This would avoid the resource problem.
Here a cool idea.

Make units starting to get tired after they figth for a while, making them lees eficient. At this time armor were heavy and figthing was hard. It is imposible to figth for a long time.

I recomend a Energie point system who go dow while the units figth or do any hard work (also make peon tke breaks) when it go down below a level the units lost a bit of strengt (they do les damages) or walk slower.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement