What education do I need?

Started by
25 comments, last by BlackHammer 22 years, 3 months ago
I have several questions that I need answered: How many wpm should I be able to type? Would a college education be better or University education? If either, which coures should I take? What should I learn on my own? _________________________________________________________________ I would Like to let everyone know that I have next to no knowledge on C, C++, or other programming languages.
Advertisement
um,

first question would be what job are you looking for? designer? programmer? manager? marketing?

in any case wpm doesn't come into play. code doesn't really break down into words per say and how much code you can program per minute is meaningless.

also for the undergraduate level of education there is no difference between a college and a university outside of universitys typically being able to offer more resources b/c they tend to be bigger (though that;s probs an over generalization)

how old are you?

-me

Edited by - Palidine on January 11, 2002 4:01:30 PM
I am thinking in the direction of designer and/or programmer. You see, I am REALLY good at math and this is an industry that I have looked into for the past year.
see my edits to my earlier post....

-me
as a first response i''d say that if you''re in high school, find a computer science course to take and see if you like programming. if you''re not in high school yet but are motivated then find a c or c++ intro book and give a shot at teaching yourself to program. or better yet find a friend to teach you.

-me
I am 19 as of the end of January. Right now I am a high school student, and yes, I am going to take programming courses as of next semester.
heh, my lunchbreak= infinite replys

anyway, cool. learning a language is the first thing. if it turns out that you hate sitting in front of a computer debugging code for hours but are still interested in gaming, then perhaps conceptual design or team management might be better.

anyway, the first thing to figure out is programmer v. something else.

then you gotta pick a college. find one with a good CS department but also one that''s got some other really good stuff going for it in case you end up hating everything to do with programming and gaming (i was going to be a doctor but then fell in love with programming and switched majors). actually most people i know completely changed their minds in college about what they wanted to do. some funny changes of mind were literature to computer science and someone else did math to literature.

as i said before for undergraduate education (i.e. your first time through) university == college. same thing.

anyway if you''ve got AIM and want a faster conversation send a message to Malted Monkey

-me

Maybe this is a dumb question.
No wait it IS.

What is computer sciences?

I know like programming comes under it but like what IS it?

MSN messenger:garcon_bifteck@hotmail.com

Email:garconbifteck@pc-gaming.com
The science of everything realated to computers
Like social science is history, current events, etc.
Wild guess...

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
President/Programmer/Expert on stuff
||--------------------------||
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Computer science is a a seperate major on its own. Many people major in it. Essentially, if you major in computer science, you are going to learn the ins and out of all the theoretical "stuff" that is in programming, lots of math, and how to program a myriad of complex things.

For example, you''ll learn order of magnitude ("Big O"), operating systems, security, network design, programming techniques, and more programming techniques, all sorts of theory, you can specialize in all sorts of things, there''s more...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement