Are there any female programmers here ??

Started by
52 comments, last by Dark Star 24 years, 2 months ago
Yes, thanks Fel and Tasm for your attitudes. That''s great. That''s the way it should be. I hate it when women act superior to men and act all ''like that'', but I also hate it when it''s the other way around. Why can''t we all just get along? If I want to take on sowing, let me, and if my girlfriend wants to take on programming, let her. Screw it all. Who cares? People are people.

Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Advertisement
Hey Tasm....is that like TASM as in short for Turbo ASeMbler?

That''d be wicked cause not only is she a female game coder but she also codes in assembler....which most coders (both male and female) just don''t do anymore.

~-------------------------------------------------------~
Fred Di Sano
System Programmer - Artech Studios (Ottawa.CA)
~-------------------------------------------------------~ Fred Di Sano System Programmer - Artech Studios (Ottawa.CA)~-------------------------------------------------------~
(since I know TASM from chat and she doesn''t come here often, I''ll field this...)

TASM is actually her initials. Her main programming language is Delphi.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
hmm..maybe I should change my name so that my initials are an acronym...
I think that what some of you guys said about female programmers is very unfair and very uncalled for at this point in time since there are currently many female programmers around who contribute tremendously to the industry. I admit that most of them are busy with application programming but I can already see a few big-name game development companies sporting some very talented female programmers. In fact, I know a female programmer on the official MS DirectX Mailing list that is a regular contributor and she knows far more than some of us, men, hope to achieve.

Moving on, my fiancee is a programmer and she is definitely far better than some of the male programmers around, including me =) I think her capacity to learn and our common interest is what makes our relationship so special =) I also have a close online friend who is a female programmer. Although she is new, she is willing to learn, which is far more determinations than I see in most newbie male programmers. Ever wondered why you seldom get "stupid" questions from female programmers on this message board? Perhaps because they ask only sensible ones after reading up thoroughly....they will probably be lead the next wave of game programmers at this rate.

Personally, I give female programmers my utmost support and wish you all the best. I certainly do hope that all you male programmers out there will also be more encouraging and supportive especially since we are in the 21st century and we as humans should unite and not discriminate based on gender, race or religion.

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Dude''s got a point there. I went to college with an awesome Greek girl (who looks IDENTICAL to Sandra Bullock except she has black hair) and she ended up being one the main coders for Corel Linux. She''s damn smart and damn hot and there you have it.

Incidentally, I tried to date her back in college but she thought I was always joking cause of my sarcastic nature back then and now she''s pretty steady with some hardware engineer type. Then, not long ago she told me she would have dated me if I was actually serious.... BUT I WAS SERIOUS GODDAMNIT!!!!....ahh well.....whatever.

Yeah, I''m well aware I''m going off topic ever so slightly...sorry.

Fred Di Sano
System Programmer - Artech Studios (Ottawa.CA)
~-------------------------------------------------------~ Fred Di Sano System Programmer - Artech Studios (Ottawa.CA)~-------------------------------------------------------~
I not only happen to have the privelege of working with a couple very talented female programmers, but both are also very pleasing on the eyes as well as being pleasant and personable. It''s almost too bad they''re both already married. Maybe it''s because I haven''t been in the industry that long (almost 26 years old. Graduated from college 4 years ago), but I really haven''t seen all that much bias against women in the industry. Of course, I don''t know how much my friends here at work get paid, but the topic has come up with respect to the attitude men have towards them, and as far as this company is concerned, they don''t feel any of the men working here are biased towards their gender. In fact, they have felt biased attitudes from some of the women in our Financing and marketing departments, which I think is rather unfortunate. The only downside, neither of them are interesting in computer gaming.
To be honest, I''ve never had a problem with any of the male programmers I work with being biased. Granted, there''s always a period of time when I get sent out to fight fires on another team where they aren''t sure if I''m competent, but I''m pretty sure that that reaction is normal regardless of gender (in fact, it might have more to do with the fact I''m young than anything), and it only takes me a short time to prove that I know what I''m doing. That''s a rather neat thing I''ve noticed about most techie people I''ve met, as long as you do your job and aren''t a terror to work with, they don''t care what your gender, color, age, creed, or home planet is. Most of the bias/flack I get is from management and from salespeople at electronics, hardware, and software stores (I have some really great stories. *grin*)

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
In my school in Sweden seven people study programming. Four of them is female.

Gandalf the White
Gandalf the Black
I''ve often given felisandria a hard time about being our token female here, although I know of at least a few others that frequent the site and the chat room. But she''s the moderator of this forum and a member of my game development team because she''s a very good programmer, which is what really matters in this industry.

There are more female engineers out there than one might think, and the ones I''ve met don''t fit into any particular stereotype. They range from clueless to brilliant, introverted to extroverted. Hmm, just like men, imagine that I can even say that one of the best looking women I''ve ever met was an engineer.

Anyway, I wouldn''t complain if more women got interested in programming. It''s still a male dominated industry; the company I work for has no female programmers (we''re pretty small though). Having more females around would provide a nice variety.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement