Paintshop pro...Photoshop

Started by
22 comments, last by BINS 24 years, 2 months ago
I've never used Paintshop pro but I have PhotoShop 5. I also have PhotoDelux which is about $50 (PhotoShop's smaller version). It has a lot of the features of PhotoShop including the same pluggins but it's a lot cheaper. There's still a lot of features missing. I got PhotoDelux 2.0 with my scanner and it's a lot better then 1.0. It allows more then 6 layers for instance.

Does anyone here know if PhotoDelux is that much better then Paintshop Pro? Like I said, I've never used PS Pro.

BTW: PhotoShop LE is only $80.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on 2/7/00 5:25:30 PM
Advertisement
I originally used PSP, but got a copy of photoshop and found it MUCH better. I still use PSP to export to different formats since photoshop can only do GIF. Photoshop''s effects, tutorials, and layers help me out a lot in web site design.

~WarDekar
~WarDekar
You must have a really old version of PhotoShop then. I can export to almost any format. Even with PhotoDelux.

I think I know what you''re doing wrong. When you save your image, don''t do a "save as...", do a "save a copy". Then it''ll let you choose the format to save as.

"save as..." tries to save all the layer information so it won''t let you choose a format that doesn''t support layers, that being everything except the photoshop format. "save a copy" will flatten the image in memory before saving it so it doesn''t need to save the layer information. It helps to read the book, big as it is.

A program that''s been all but ignored in this line of replies is Corel''s PhotoPaint. The newest version (8 or 9 - I can''t remember offhand) supports Photoshop layers and effects, and also features quite a few little things I bet Adobe wishes they had though of first. Unlike Photoshop, which doesn''t allow you to export to html (though imageready does w/ PS5.5), you can split a graphics up in PhotoPaint and export to HTML with tables and all. It''s a good place to start site design from if you''re new to HTML. Also, take into consideration that if you buy the CorelDraw Suite package (about $499 I think) you get Corel Draw, PhotoPaint, a raster->vector converter, a fractal texture generator, just tons of stuff, all for under the price of PhotoShop. Those of you who really want bang for the buck should check out this suite on the corel website.

-Nick Robalik
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
I''ve used a bit of corel photopaint and I didn''t like it much... those "objects" really annoyed me.

I got photodeluxe with my scanner too and I''d say I like it more that paintshop pro, although paintshop pro is good for editing really small images like sprites.
- DanielMy homepage
I''ve noticed a lot of people say they like PS Pro better for painting sprites, why is that? I''ve used Photoshop for sprites before and I like the way the pen uses anti-aliasing when drawing to give the sprite a softer look. Does PS Pro have better tools for working with smaller images?

not really, ps pro has a tool menu that u can ajust the size of the brush, and shange brush forms(square, cirle,...)

respond to the person who said ps pro has a bad interphase, u did not really learned it. once u learned it is a very cool interphase
You can adjust the brush in PhotoShop too. Even use an image for a brush. But not in PhotoDelux.

Check teh Fractal Design Painter 5 or higher. It''s definately the best for Painting. I mean posters, real ART, flyers, an yalternative styles - everything. Where else can you rotate drawing canvas to make drawing more comfortable?? I still use PhotoShop 5.0 for aftereffects.

[Cause nobody can do it like mixmaster can]-+-+-{BEaSTy BOYs}

Maluke [MLKent@mail.ru]
[Cause nobody can do it like mixmaster can]-+-+-{BEaSTy BOYs}Maluke [MLKent@mail.ru]
I have both and most of the time I''m working with layers, texture,
and zooming in/out a lot, so I use Photoshop. PSP turned me off
IN THE VERY BEGINNING because the UI was terrible. But I still
use it for small things. PSP may have some great features, but
IT AINT PHOTOSHOP.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement