3d editors\formats

Started by
11 comments, last by _Bobert_ 22 years, 3 months ago
I have been -very- succesful at building meshes in Blender and exporting them with my own python script. I get a nice clean assci file with mesh,tex,and matrix- based animations (rot, loc, siz) And on top of that, they read into my ogl & c++ engine very well. Im wondering if moving up to 3dsmax or similar (lightwave,truespace, c4d) is worth it. I mean, i like blender and all, but there must be more out there... Somthing for both models & environments ie: no milkshape any thoughts? -bobert
Advertisement
blender vs. MAX = bycicle vs. BMW

-Lev
well, that bicycle is free while the BMW costs multum..
for some ....

''I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks...'' - TOOL
[TheBlackJester]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Well Blender itself as a modeler looks pretty powerfull to me!!??
Also why would you not be able to create buildings/enviroments with milk shape?
Also on a second note...

Alias is creating a new license, where you can use the latest version of maya for free!!!!! Bassically, you canuse it as mucha s you want except that when you render images you get a watermark, also you wont be able to use commercial plugins made for it... But if it''s just to create buildings etc... You should be ok with the bassic features... And am sure you will be able to save your work....
Milkshape is for characters, at least as
far as i can tell. Is it any good for evironments?

I know that blender is good, im asking if i
should upgrade!

Im going to check out the maya licence, thanx

-bobert
Well from what I saw, in milk shape you should be able to create any kind of low plogone model. I think, correct me if am wrong...

Blender, seems to have lots of neafty feature and looks as powerfull as any modeller out there...

It also come done to what file format you want to use, but this is trivial... You pick the one you want and stick with it thats all...

Some file formats are more recognized by more ppl, thats all...

Also, what I have seen and read... 3DS MAX and Maya are the most popular modelers, in the game industry...
quote:Original post by ANSI2000
Also on a second note...

Alias is creating a new license, where you can use the latest version of maya for free!!!!! Bassically, you canuse it as mucha s you want except that when you render images you get a watermark, also you wont be able to use commercial plugins made for it... But if it''s just to create buildings etc... You should be ok with the bassic features... And am sure you will be able to save your work....

The personal version of maya is coming out in feb; however it will use a proprietary file format that is not compatable with the commercial version, so it remains to be seen if this will be usable for personal 3d programming projects.
Hey,

Milkshape is basically the only modeler I use and with a little practice, it can be used for any type of low polygon model. I''ve made characters, houses, and vehicles and they all look great, and I''m not even a modeler! So, I''ve never used blender but IMO all these $$$ modeling packages aren''t necessary.

''I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks...'' - TOOL
[TheBlackJester]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement