what makes a game engine?

Started by
10 comments, last by leedude 22 years, 1 month ago
i have been learning openGL for a little while now, going through the awesome NeHe tutorials, and i would like to have a go at writing a simple game engine, with model loading, terrain, lighting and input but am not really sure how to start or how they are structured. i am using C++ and to me i would make classes for different things like: *main class (for initialisation and msg handling) *model class *terrain class *texture class *etc.. if i had all these classes to use then wouldnt this just be a library of classes, or is that what an engine is? Also what is the difference (if any!) between a game engine and a graphics engine!? any help would be appreciated thanx
Advertisement
quote:Original post by leedude
if i had all these classes to use then wouldnt this just be a library of classes, or is that what an engine is?
That''s basically what an engine is: a set of classes (in this case; it doesn''t have to be classes of course) that work together to perform some function.
quote:Original post by leedude
Also what is the difference (if any!) between a game engine and a graphics engine!?
Well, a graphics engine would be just the graphics. A game engine would include support for sound, input, networking, scripting, etc.

a ganme engine must also have a function that manage the memory.
That means that you can allocate memory and release it, if you don''t need this memory.

quote:Original post by bondi
a ganme engine must also have a function that manage the memory.
That means that you can allocate memory and release it, if you don''t need this memory.

Like new and delete for instance?

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
it would also have to have collision detection and that kind of stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
quote:Original post by GrandMLee

and popcorn. Game engines need popcorn. popcorn is good.
quote:Original post by GrandMLee

Physics. Functions for moving objects around in a realistic (or non-realistic) way. Collision detection is part of that.
And of course game logic!
Can you please send me your popcorn code? I always get the error:

Error 854735835234.5235253b: Not enough corn available

I have no idea how to fix it... maybe buy some extra memory? Or is there a popcorn API available which fixes this?

hmmmmmm a good idea for a game
sim popcorn

KING CLAUDIUS Now, Hamlet, where''s Polonius?

HAMLET At supper.

KING CLAUDIUS At supper! where?

HAMLET Not where he eats, but where he is eaten
quote:Original post by Subotron
Can you please send me your popcorn code? I always get the error:

Error 854735835234.5235253b: Not enough corn available

I have no idea how to fix it... maybe buy some extra memory? Or is there a popcorn API available which fixes this?

Don''t forget to use glPushCorn(num_of_kernels); and glPopCorn(num_of_kernels). If ou dont push the number of kernels on, it wont know how many to pop, in which case you get the error of it not knowing how much corn there is to pop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement