Taking breaks

Started by
11 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 2 months ago
I (previously) thought that I could program incessantly, barring the need to eat, sleep (sometimes), and bath. Boy was I mistaken.

I had been in the same programming job for two and a half years before I took my first vacation - I also programmed on the side. When I got married, we took 20 days for the honeymoon (this was my first vacation) - when I got back, I was about 150% more productive than I was before I left! Before I left, I had no idea that I was so burned out. When I got back, my mind was clearer, I was more motivated, etc. After that, I resolved to take at least a contiguous week off each year + a few days here and there for R&R. Works wonders.

Clay
Advertisement
I think clay had the right idea. you never know what kind of inspiriational thinking can happen in a break. staring out the window at a tree or something could give you who knows what kind of inspiriation.

- Moe -
I think once you get passed the initial learning period
(programming for the very first time) taking extended breaks are perfectly acceptable because your pass the period
of regression...

I''ll do this two or three times a year for anywhere from 5-20 days but to prevent myself from getting totally out of the loop I''ll go into a research mode and just read things related to graphics programming and not code

nothin wrong with taking time out to enjoy a good game - thats why you started in the first place

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement