Local or global coordinates?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kaimano 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi. I have a little doubt. For the objects that are statics in the world (like walls), is it better specify their vertex in local (respect the center of the object) or global (respect the world) coordinates? I think that is better in global coord becouse in this way i avoid to use every time that i draw the scene glTraslate and glRotate for each object that put in the world. Is it right? I am stupid? thx ----------------------------------------------- sorry for my english, it is very bad.
Advertisement
I don''t know how the later algorithms do it, but I would render the static environment first, and then render the mobile objects. So I agree with your assumption.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Okkey, tnx.
But i think somenthig else.
If the vertices of my world are in global coord, i can''t use for build it display list. (i think)
Is it likewise convenient?
Or is conventient only if in my world many object are the same?

--------------------------------------
Sorry for my english, it is very bad.
Okkey, tnx.
But i think somenthig else.
If the vertices of my world are in global coord, i can''t use for build it display list. (i think)
Is it likewise convenient?
Or is conventient only if in my world many object are the same?
What do you think?

--------------------------------------
Sorry for my english, it is very bad.
The biggest argument against storing static object vertex positions in global coordinates is that normally, you''ll have more than one instance of many of your objects. It doesn''t make sense to store vertex positions with each instance just to allow you to use global coordinates - you''d be wasting a lot of space.

Ultimately, using global coordinates will probably provide no (or very little) performance advantage over using using local coordinates and transforming, especially if you''re using display lists. Btw, there''s nothing preventing you from using global coords with display lists.
with global cooridnates there is some perforamce advantage
the main benifits are collision detection + rendering effects etc where the final effect is dependant on where the vertices are in world position

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
Ok, tnx to all.
Now my world is in global coord, i think that now i write some code to do it in local coord.
Then i run some benchmark.

----------------------------
Sorry for my english, it is very bad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement