book on data structures/algorithms

Started by
3 comments, last by romer 22 years, 1 month ago
Do you guys have a recommendation as to some good books covering data structures and algorithms? I went to the book store today and all I say was one called Algorithms in C++. Would that be a good one to start out with?
Advertisement
THE book on algorithms is "Introduction to algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson and Rivest (aka "The big white book"). Of course, they talk only about algorithms themselves, not practical implementation, for roughly 1000 pages.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Data Structures and Their Algorithms
by
Harry R. Lewis, Harvard University
Larry Denenberg, Harvard University

Pretty good, lot of cryptic pseudo code, but it covers many important, core data structures.
i have that big white book, it''s awesome
Mark Allen Wiess, ''Algorithms, Data Structures and Problem solving in C++'' (I think thats the correct title).

Its the standard course text for BSc/MSc computer science undergraduates at the UEA (At least I think it still is).

Goes through Stacks, Queue''s, Lists, Trees, recursion etc, pretty handy to have around as a reference.

,Jay

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement