Bumpmapping: SW vs. HW

Started by
5 comments, last by A J Oja 22 years ago
Greetings! I''m here just to make a hypothetical question: Would it be worth it to program software-bumpmapping into an engine? My point in asking that lies in the fact that *most* chipsets & video cards support HW bumpmapping in many forms thus making pure SW bumpmapping "useless". - A.J. - "Where is the KABOOM!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"
- A.J. -"Where is the KABOOM!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"
Advertisement
why dont you just use emboss bump mapping where you cant do anything else. It''s faster than doing all in SW and much simpler.

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Bumpmapping is quite expensive and requires many calculations, now the hardware can do that at decent speed, software bumpmapping will be _very_ slow, similar to trilinear texture filterung: fast in hardware, very slow in software.

-Lev
Thanks for the advice! I''ll skip the SW although I liked doing it... embossing is already implemented, though it causes flickering on W2K... though it doesn''t surprise me

- A.J. -
"Where is the KABOOM!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"
- A.J. -"Where is the KABOOM!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"
Emboss bump mapping can have some horrible artifacts. I recently downloaded an article called "A Practical and Robust Bump-mapping Technique for Today''s GPUs" by Mark J. Kilgard. I highly suggest you download that and read it, do a search on google to find a download site.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
If you decide to support only DOT3 bumpmapping, my lowly TNT2 and I won''t be able to try out your game!
software bumpmapping is not possible at a reasonable speed (at least not on an ordinary computer)
for cards that dont support it just draw the surfaces without bumpmapping

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement