Final year degree project.. ideas

Started by
3 comments, last by sleepytim 22 years ago
Hi all, I would greatly value peoples opinion.. Im just finishing my 2nd year of a software engineering degree (bussy as heck right now) and im thinking about my final year project. I said to a tutor that I was interested in doin a game engine related project (I have done DirectDraw in my free time) and he sujested doing:- ** Different collision detection methods for a 3D world. ** in which i would research all the different methods and show which one/combination was best.. my question to you would be is thois a large project or is it a week project ? any other interesting ideas you could throw in would be apriciated personally I was thinking a comparison of a basic 3D engine in DirectX compared with one in Glide .. too big a project ?? thanks Tim (whos very sleepy)
Advertisement
build a 3d rendering engine with

1) bsp tree
2) octree / quadtree
3) portals on a bsp tree
4) some other way ...

then make comparisons between them, make suggestions on improving them.. suggest more applications for them. Example is that you can use a portal engine for radiosity (since u can make a pvs)

oh yeah.. dont forget collision detections.. like line of sight, ray casting, ray tracing.. blah blah...

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

[edited by - jwalker on April 24, 2002 2:50:09 AM]
Are you looking for a project which doesn''t involve actual programming? Being an OpenGL newbie, I''ve looked into collision detection recently and really, it could be as long a project as you need. It would be a week project if you were simply going to outline the theory between each of the detection methods, but would be much longer if you were going to demonstrate each of the methods.

There''s certainly no "best" method, by the way. It usually depends upon the shape of the objects and how accurate you need your collision detection to be.
ok thanks people :-)

i think i may go for the project of developing 2 seperate engines and comparing them cuz that way its more scalable

thanks

Tim
>>** Different collision detection methods for a 3D world. **<<

week only project!!!

it would be easier to write doom3 than to come up with a demo that shows all the ways u can do collision + response in a 3d world.
remember not a single game yet made handles collision + response perfectly, at least none ive seen

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement