Billboarding

Started by
1 comment, last by Drag0n 21 years, 12 months ago
Hi everybody! I got a smooth landscape with water and sky, and now I would like to use billboarding to build trees. The texture has different alpha values and now I would like to know if there is an easy way to correctly render those trees. I can''t, of course, use the normal depth buffer...or can I? Thx Drag0n P. S.: I''m from Germany...
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Advertisement
if you''re going to use blending :

enable blending
draw objects form far to near

if you''re going to use alpha testing :
enable alpha testing
set alpha test function
draw trees in any order

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Thx

That''s exactly what I ment. I couldn''t use the normal depth buffer without some kind of sorting algorithm (BPS tree or whatever).

Can you tell me what values I need to use with alpha testing?
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement