Can't find my bug!

Started by
2 comments, last by Atavist 24 years, 2 months ago
I''m having trouble creating a window! I''m using vc++5, win32. When I have the code to create the window inside my WinMain it works. As soon as I move the exact same code to a near function (called IniApp at the bottom) it will not create the window! I''ve been trying to figure this out for days now! Please help me (how do you do those code insert tags with this forum?) anyway here it is: #include windows.h LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND,UINT,WPARAM,LPARAM); int IniApp(HINSTANCE hInst, int nCmdShow); char szProgName[] = "ProgName"; HWND g_hWnd = NULL; int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPreInst, LPSTR lpszCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { int nRetVal=0; nRetVal = IniApp(hInst, nCmdShow); if(nRetVal < 0) return 0; //I always get a -2 error MSG lpMsg; while(GetMessage(&lpMsg,0,0,0)) { TranslateMessage(&lpMsg); DispatchMessage(&lpMsg); } return(lpMsg.wParam); } LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT messg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { switch(messg) { case WM_PAINT: HDC hdc; PAINTSTRUCT ps; hdc = BeginPaint(g_hWnd,&ps); TextOut(hdc,100,50,"Testing!$!%!@#$",15); ValidateRect(hWnd,NULL); EndPaint(g_hWnd,&ps); break; case WM_DESTROY: PostQuitMessage(0); break; default: return(DefWindowProc(g_hWnd,messg,wParam,lParam)); break; } return 0; } int IniApp(HINSTANCE hInst, int nCmdShow) { WNDCLASS wcApp; wcApp.lpszClassName = szProgName; wcApp.hInstance = hInst; wcApp.lpfnWndProc = WndProc; wcApp.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL,IDC_ARROW); wcApp.hIcon = NULL; wcApp.lpszMenuName = 0; wcApp.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH) GetStockObject(LTGRAY_BRUSH); wcApp.style = CS_HREDRAW / CS_VREDRAW; wcApp.cbClsExtra = 0; wcApp.cbWndExtra = 0; if(!RegisterClass(&wcApp)) { return -1; } g_hWnd = CreateWindow(szProgName,"Simple Windows Template", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,CW_USEDEFAULT,CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,CW_USEDEFAULT,(HWND)NULL,(HMENU)NULL, hInst,(LPSTR)NULL); //create window always fails if(g_hWnd == NULL) { return -2; } ShowWindow(g_hWnd,nCmdShow); UpdateWindow(g_hWnd); return 1; }
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Advertisement
Well, I might just be blind here, but where is the WndProc defined for
wcApp.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
?
I usually use
wcApp.lpfnWndProc = ::DefWindowProc;

I also usually put
wcApp.lpszMenuName = NULL;
rather than
wcApp.lpszMenuName = 0;
but I''m not sure whether that actually makes any difference.

HTH, good luck.

-fel

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I found your bug. You are calling DefWindowProc() with g_hWnd instead of hWnd. As your WndProc is called while creating the window g_hWnd is still 0 the first time it''s called.

As for the code tag it is (code) & (/code) with square brackets instead of paranthesis.
Thanks a million people

My problem was using the global hWnd in my callback.
NULL is defined as being 0
::DefWindProc is great, but I need to use my own callback.

lets see if this works
{	testing();} 

One person said that the games industry is "a transfer of funds from the rich to the lucky"
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement