John Carmack?

Started by
66 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 2 months ago
Yeah Romero is a dork. I saw a picture of him the other day and he looks like that pissed off kid in the corner of the classroom that is loud, obnoxious, the one everyone makes fun of and is socially challenged. Cut your hair you D&D freak!!!!
Advertisement
What makes all of the Quakes fun?
The game designers.

What makes all of the Quakes amazing?
John Carmack''s god-like programming skills.

Brenden

p.s. Commander Keen rocked. I''d buy it in a second for my GB.
If Looking Glass and id teamed up, now that would result in a wicked game. System Shock style game with the Quake3 engine.

Ya think?

Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
Well, John Carmack doesn''t do any game design, so I really don''t think we can call him a crappy designer. As for Romero, doesn''t really matter what he did in the past. He''s pretty much a complete flop today. John Carmack is an excellent programmer, no argument against that. He''s been a major contributor to some of the greatest games available on the PC. He''s part of an elite group of extremely talented people within the gaming industry. Certainly not a god, but definitely a good model for any neophyte game programmer to measure himself by and strive for. One of many in the industry that would serve that role well though. He''s also one of the richest Game programmers in the industry (which certainly doesn''t hurt)
I''d personally say that Michael Abrash is a far better programmer than John Carmack, I mean Carmack can do 3d engines, but that''s about all. Abrash can do a heck of a lot of things, and IMHO is less of a loner than Carmack, i.e. he doesn''t spend 2 weeks in a hotel room programming code...

Don''t flame for this tho, Just my thoughts...

+------------------+
| Dæmin |
|(Dominik Grabiec) |
|sdgrab@eisa.net.au|
+------------------+
Daemin(Dominik Grabiec)
>>I''d personally say that Michael Abrash is a far better programmer than John Carmack.

I''d have to disagree. There isn''t any real way to quanitify how "good" a programmer. If they get results, the get results.

Both are very excellent programmers.

>>I mean Carmack can do 3d engines, but that''s about all.

As a programmer, Johns more than capable of doing any task. He''s actually quite proficient with network coding. Have you played any multiplayer Q3A? Carmack happens to like making engines. So what? Let him do as he likes. Engines involve most programming genres/disciplines out there - graphics, physics, networking, a.i., sound, etc.

>>...and IMHO is less of a loner than Carmack...

Again, SO WHAT? How relevant is it that he''s a loner? He just got married, so he isn''t completely inept... =P
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
We''re talking about gamedev here, and as far as I know Michael Abrash optimized quake to run at it''s best, but hasn''t created any games of his own.
Yea, Abrash is "Mr. Optimization". =P

His Graphics Programming Black Book is a pretty good read.
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
Hey, I don''t know who''s fault it was that Carmack and Romero broke up, but they both deserve credit for being good programmers. Romero''s current project, Daikatana, is expected to be one of the best games ever. I do agree, cut the hair Romero.

~Julio
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Anyone know where I might be able to find pictures of those two? I''m just curious about John, and Romero''s hair sounds pretty whacked...

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement