Background Music

Started by
4 comments, last by SikCiv 24 years, 1 month ago
So far I have a Multimedia Timer controlling my sprites 100 times a second, but my game has no sound, and I dont want to use the same timer, as this would probably interrupt the gameplay due to sound buffer loading. I would like to implement a second multimedia timer to play around 10 wave samples in a sequence to create the background music (much like MOD). Is it safe to implement two Multimedia Timers? Is each system limited to how many multimedia timers u can have running at once? My second choice is DirectMusic,.. Is anyone using DirectMusic? How do u create tracks? What is it, a mod player type system or just a fancy midi player?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
DMusic is a MIDI player, and it''s really not all that fancy. I found it extremely easy to use. I have a freeware MIDI player that uses my DMusic wrapper up on my www.knightsvalorous.com domain if you''re curious.

You can also use MCI MIDI commands, which use hardware instead of software emulation that DMusic uses, and also is very easy.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
DirectMusic (is what I know of) just a really fancy MIDI player with alot of flexibility, and I gues it''s good at...eh...playing MIDI files. But if you want to play music with better quality than that, you should look at DirectSound streaming buffers.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design

"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Hi!

I just want to say that DMusic has an advantage over mci command strings: In some sound cards - like the one I own - the mcicommands won''t work at all and in others it will produce a really bad sound quality.. with DMusic you can have a roland-like midi player in any sound card..

Laters!
"Old programmers don't die,they just terminate and stay resident."
OK, but I dont wanna use instruments, i wanna Amiga like system where u use actual samples.

What would be phenominal would be..
1) load a standard midi file.
2) Load around 16 wav files to replace each instrument used.
3) play it.

I dunno if DirectMusic is capable of SoundFonts, but if it is, if the Sound Card doesnt have WaveTable, does DirectMusic emulate it in Software?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

DirectMusic always uses software emulation. It emulates on the Roland patches I believe, which are very nice.

Yes, you can load sound fonts using DirectMusic. Read about it for a while, it''s a very powerful tool.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement