Writing for RPG-like games

Started by
40 comments, last by Kylotan 21 years, 10 months ago
I like the idea of breaking down paths into different types. However, it might be better to look at a few attributes and ''mix and match,'' rather than trying to list all combinations:

Direction: one-way or two-way
Ableness: Is the path enabled or disabled? (this is linked into the constraints idea)

I find it hard to belive there''s only two...

How about the introduction of a ''dummy'' event? I recently finished a course on mathematical networks, including modelling and CPA - when modelling a dependancy network (which this essentially is) ''dummy'' arcs were often needed to make things flow correctly. Rather than connecting all of the ''get blade, get gem, etc'' to ''get reward from mage,'' you put in a dummy event first (literally, ''assemble sword,'' but you don''t actually need to label it at all). It could come in very handy for synchronization in particular...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Ive tried a couple of these to get time lines correct for both games and stories and found I had to create a table a bit like...

Scene 1 Scene 2 Scene 3
Story Thread 1 X
Story Thread 2 X
Story Thread 26 X

And then write the scene for each plot that reaches there and also for evey combination of those that have arrived. From the above you would have Scene_1 and Scene_3_thread_2, Scene_3_tread_26, Scene_3_thread_2_26.

Often many of the scenes are the same so they dont require a great deal of rework but sometimes it can be major (the person has the wand of doom that splats the demon or they must fight it out.

You must however distinguish between when a scene is being enacted or they are merely visiting a location. It is this in game writing that lets you keep you sanity as you only activate the scenes once all the relevant issues are dealt with and can consign the other scenes to the cutting room floor.

State machines are fine for this as long as you remember to make it sectional so that all paths meet at a single junction before starting out again (end of chapter as such).

Regards

BaelWrath

If it is not nailed down it''s mine,
and if I can prise it loose,
it''s not nailed down!
BaelWrathIf it is not nailed down it's mine and if I can prise it loose,it's not nailed down!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement