Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Buster2000

Member Since 13 Aug 2006
Offline Last Active Apr 23 2016 10:25 AM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Islamaphobia in the United States

22 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

 

For instance, why do they all have to shout "Allah wakauba" (God is great in Arabic) before they blow themselves up?

                      Why do they all read relevant parts of the Koran in their video clips, to justice their acts?

                      Why does ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Qaeda, Al shaba all have establishing an Islamic state as the main cause of their jihad?

                      Why do they all call western women "whores", simply for not dressing up like they force their own women to dresstyjgh

The simple answer to this is because of recruitment.  Al Qaeda did not start off as being Islamic terrorists.  They started off being anti-american terrorists who happened to be Islamic.  Their original targets before 9-11 were American military and infrastructure targets (similar types of targets to previous terror groups such as the IRA or ETA).  Then Bin Laden noticed that he was getting support from non-arabic muslims world wide they changed their tactics and goals became straight up Islamic terrorists.  Others such as Boko Harem followed suit with aims of combatting any western influence. Then you have ISIS who basically just copied all this but cranked it up to 11 and actually became a muslim death cult.


In Topic: How to deal with this unexpected counter-offer?

22 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

Be careful in your soul-searching, and strongly consider rejecting it.

 

Once you give notice companies routinely make counter offers to get you to stay --- but only until they can find and train your replacement.  

 

I've looked up stats before and it's late so I'm not bothering to look up links, but numbers are easy enough to find and verify:  About 5% - 10% of those who accept counter offers are still employed at the job a year later. The other 90%-95% who accepted a counter offer either left anyway or had employment terminated.

 

 

 

This is absolutely spot on.  I've seen it happen dozens of times.


In Topic: How did you learn making games?

22 April 2016 - 01:52 AM

 

I mean nowadays if you want to code you can use the Web but, you are only going to find coding stuff if you are searching for it whilst back in the early 80s it was kind of thrust in your face.

A lot of that vibe seems to be present in the Rasp.pi scene, magazines there publish Python code to hack.
Robotics also seems to catch on nowadays.

 

 

Yeah the Raspberry Pi scene is pretty awesome also the new micro:BIT that the BBC has started rolling out in schools.


In Topic: Entrapment, should this be legal?

21 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

 

 

Things I am thinking about are Abortion,  Prohibition, The war on Drugs.  Also in the UK and EU there are laws that are in place by the government to protect peoples well being but that doesn't necessarily have any moral implication (wearing a helmet on a motorbike) or some people could even see them as unjust (some drug laws).

 

 

Is it morally right to allow idiots to not wear helmets on a motorbike, putting their lives in greater danger than needed? (On the other hand. Combining lax helmet laws with opt-out organ donation programs would be a whole other can of worms for morality/ethics.)

 

 

I wouldn't call it immoral to not force people to wear a helmet.   As for the organ donation thing it would probably be immoral to force somebody to opt out of donating their organs but, some people would also say its immoral for people to refuse to donate them.


In Topic: Future of economics, Step 1

21 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

 

It happened last year when the Swiss decided to stop pegging their Franc against the Euro without giving any warning.  A lot of people were basically wiped out in less than 5 minutes

 

How so? It merely caused a temporary change in exchange rate. Noticeable, yes, but far from "wiped out in minutes". The rate has regained half of that since then, with nothing being done and nothing happening (or rather, you could say despite much happening). The reason is clear, too, if you consider that the franc is backed in euros.

 

 

Because people had money (billions) invested in financial instruments that were based on the Franc being pegged against the Euro. It caused losses in every single market in Europe and also caused several funds.  Several large forex traders and spread betters lost millions because everything they trade is hedged.  When the price changed they couldn't hedge fast enough.  Alpari went bust, FXCM lost £300 million.  People with leveraged positions were obviously the most affected.  There were even horror stories in the press about low paid teachers who found themselves 300k in debt from only a 10k position.

Polish banks lost billions, people lost their homes. 


PARTNERS