Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.






C# Project - Noter

Posted by kseh, in Noter 11 May 2011 · 307 views

It's not exactly game related but the past few weeks I've been working on personal project to create a wiki style desktop application. And I think I've actually got it to a state that I don't mind showing what I have.

Noter is pretty much my first attempt at a C# personal project. As I mentioned, the idea was to come up with something that works as a sort of file based wiki that doesn't require a database or a web server. I've been having issues setting up a wiki on my Vista laptop so I've been thinking of doing a project like this for some time. Basically I was looking for a way to easily create and link together text files. I tend to write a lot of notes and I like the way the wiki I have on my website can be used to keep things organized but I prefer not to have to put everything online. I have the basics that I wanted implemented and it's functional enough for my needs but it might be a little rough around the edges for other people's tastes. Still, if anyone cares to check it out, the download link is below. Please let me know what you think, especially if you find it at all interesting or useful

I'm not sure where it would rate on a project difficulty scale but I'm happy with the results. The current code could use some (a lot of) refactoring but taking a stab at something other than a tutorial gave a more practical feel to using delegates. Writing a lot of the functionality was about as simple as what I've heard people say when they talk about C#. I can definitely see some advantages over C++ (though I'm not likely to abandon C++ anytime soon). There was some difficulty trapping events from the web browser control. I had to find code on the web for functionality to get the ID of a clicked link so that a C# function has access to it for processing. When I found the solution, the code seemed pretty straight forward and intuitive although knowing which objects were involved wasn't as intuitive. There was also an issue where getting that link ID caused problems processing mouse messages. I found the solution to that issue online but it was not intuitive at all. There were a few COM concepts involved that I think might be pretty basic that I don't quite have a good grasp at yet.

As I usually do with projects that I work on, I kept a set of development notes. I thought about posting them into this blog but decided against it since it isn't a game project. I have, though, made them available on my website.

Download page
Development notes




Interesting idea. I'm also not a big fan only being able to edit things online, there's always situations when you don't have an internet connection and you feel a bit restricted. All this hype about "cloud" computing kinda annoys me. Sure, putting things online has many advantages but I think there will always be a place for offline applications too.

As for C#, I've been coding with it for years. There are times when C++ is the right language for the job and times when C# is the better choice. The trick is to be able to recognise the pro's and con's. For example, my core game libraries are written in C++ but I have C# wrappers so I can do the game logic without having to worry about the painful details that come along with C++. This approach is not that much different to sitting a scripting language on your game engine (e.g. Lua).

November 2014 »

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526 27 2829
30      

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

PARTNERS