Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I have to invent something for my history class, but what?

Started by Samith Nov 16, 2003 at 6:13 PM 52 replies 5.9k views
Original Post
Samith
Samith
The only things I want to invent are laser guns or an electircal whip, but I doubt either of those would be allowed in school, nor would I be able to build either of them and make them practical without spending a lot of money. So I need to think of something else to invent. Any ideas? I might be able to "invent" software programs, so any ideas on programs to make would be cool. (NOTE: I''m in 10th grade and I''m by no means an electrical engineer, so ideas involving even remotely advanced use of electrical... things... is not good....)
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
If we told you what to invent, you wouldn''t have invented it, you would have just implemented it.



Don''t be fooled by cheap imitations! There is only one list of things that suck!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
alnite
alnite
quote:
Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
If we told you what to invent, you wouldn''t have invented it, you would have just implemented it.
I couldn''t say it better myself.
Mscgamer
Mscgamer
APC is right. I strongly advise anyone against helping him.

Think of an idea for what you want to invent and then we may be able to help you implement it.
Crispy
Crispy
We had to do something similar in 10th grade so we came up with a baseball hat with a flashlight attached to one side to light your path, a servo attached to the other side to keep you cool, a straw connected to a water bottle on your back, attached to the headline of the hat to keep you hydrated, sunglasses screwed to the hat so that they wouldn''t get lost, a magnifying glass attached to the left side near the top that had its own custom-sewn pocket, to help you see small things, a knife tied to the back using string to help you cut things when you need to and duct tape taped on top of the beak to help you out in times of trouble.

Hope you were inspired.





"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Samith
Samith
Hmm...edible paper...? Hehe, I could just melt some sugar over paper or something and call it edible.

I could...sew a compass into a glove, for the ultimate explorer glove thing...

I could...hmmmm, I don''t know.
TravelingCoder
TravelingCoder
I had an assignment like this in sixth grade. I mixed ice tea mix with Coke and called it "Coca-tea".
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
Voice Of Tango
Voice Of Tango
quote:
Original post by Crispy
We had to do something similar in 10th grade so we came up with a baseball hat with a flashlight attached to one side to light your path, a servo attached to the other side to keep you cool, a straw connected to a water bottle on your back, attached to the headline of the hat to keep you hydrated, sunglasses screwed to the hat so that they wouldn''t get lost, a magnifying glass attached to the left side near the top that had its own custom-sewn pocket, to help you see small things, a knife tied to the back using string to help you cut things when you need to and duct tape taped on top of the beak to help you out in times of trouble.
Wow. So, did these things ever go into production? If so, how much and to whom do I make my cheques payable?
Samith
Samith
quote:
Original post by Crispy
We had to do something similar in 10th grade so we came up with a baseball hat with a flashlight attached to one side to light your path, a servo attached to the other side to keep you cool, a straw connected to a water bottle on your back, attached to the headline of the hat to keep you hydrated, sunglasses screwed to the hat so that they wouldn''t get lost, a magnifying glass attached to the left side near the top that had its own custom-sewn pocket, to help you see small things, a knife tied to the back using string to help you cut things when you need to and duct tape taped on top of the beak to help you out in times of trouble.

Hope you were inspired.








Wow, I see you went all out.

The thing with this project is that I don''t want to invent anything that''s safe or school appropriate. I just want to make things that explode. I want to make a coffee cup covered with a coating of some type of impact explosive, it''s use...uhh...coolness I guess. But, of course that would only get me expelled.
Mscgamer
Mscgamer
The compass glove idea could work. Just keep it simple and you'll be fine; the wheel, for example, was an extremely simple idea but improved transportation of people/goods dramatically.

[edited by - Mscgamer on November 16, 2003 7:32:21 PM]
Bossk
Bossk
Invent DOUBLE sliced bread. Like, cut into slices as normal and then bisected.

Then you could legitimately claim it's the best thing since original sliced bread.

It's the start of a new wheat technology revolution!


You do NOT want to click me. | Forums = Spam | Extreme Uploading POWAR!!~1

[edited by - Bossk on November 16, 2003 7:36:09 PM]
BradDaBug
BradDaBug
This might be pushing your technical skills, but how about an audio caller-id?

When someone calls, what happens? Your phone rings. Let''s say you''re sitting on the pot when it rings. "Oh no! It might be a telemarketer, or it might be Dave!" you just don''t know. So you waddle out of the bathroom with your pants around your ancles, hoping no one sees you as you make your way to the phone. "Oh, it''s just Mith. All that work for nothing."

So let''s review the details. The phone rings, and you have to get up and go see who it is. Why not combine the two? Why doesn''t the phone go "Excuse me, Bug, but Dave at 555-5555 is calling!" Then I can know that someone is calling AND who is calling without having to run around the house with my pants around my ankles. Brilliant! Now go build it, patent it, and give me all the money you make.
I like the DARK layout!
superpig
superpig
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

BradDaBug''s example is a prime case of an invention fixing a problem.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Tron3k
Tron3k
That idea does work if the person calling is someone you want to ignore, but if it isn''t, you have to get up with your pants around your ankles anyway, and the person might have hung up already since you waited for the audio caller-id before getting up.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Samith
Samith
quote:
Original post by BradDaBug
This might be pushing your technical skills, but how about an audio caller-id?

When someone calls, what happens? Your phone rings. Let''s say you''re sitting on the pot when it rings. "Oh no! It might be a telemarketer, or it might be Dave!" you just don''t know. So you waddle out of the bathroom with your pants around your ancles, hoping no one sees you as you make your way to the phone. "Oh, it''s just Mith. All that work for nothing."

So let''s review the details. The phone rings, and you have to get up and go see who it is. Why not combine the two? Why doesn''t the phone go "Excuse me, Bug, but Dave at 555-5555 is calling!" Then I can know that someone is calling AND who is calling without having to run around the house with my pants around my ankles. Brilliant! Now go build it, patent it, and give me all the money you make.


That is really pushing my technical skills. The best I can do with anything electronic is make a circut light up a lightbulb. I don''t even know how caller ID''s work.
BradDaBug
BradDaBug
All you need is a computer with a caller-id enabled modem, a text-to-speech library, and a set of speakers.

I can''t remember how all the details work, but when someone calls, the modem gets the name and number. You can then request the name and number using a simple modem instruction (I can''t remember what it is). Once you get the info, just send it to the text-to-speech thingy and make it say it. You could get by without doing any electrical work.
I like the DARK layout!
Taulin
Taulin
Wait..I must be missing something...

When did making something new ever have to do with History?

I mean, History is about..well, history. Things that have been done. WTF does making a new invention have to do with past events?

Please explain in 20 words or less.
CGameProgrammer
CGameProgrammer
If it''s for history class, shouldn''t you submit something that has already been invented? How about the wheel? Always a classic. Or sliced bread; that''ll really impress the teacher.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.
~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Samith
Samith
quote:
Original post by Taulin
Wait..I must be missing something...

When did making something new ever have to do with History?

I mean, History is about..well, history. Things that have been done. WTF does making a new invention have to do with past events?

Please explain in 20 words or less.



Stuff was invented in the period we are studying. I think that has something to do with it.

18 words.
Raymondo
Raymondo
Invent a double headed anal probe that can double as a cereal spoon.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.