Why is everyone jumping on the Cell phone Gamedev

Started by
12 comments, last by funvill 19 years, 9 months ago
Why is everyone jumping on the Cell phone Gamedev It seems like just about every where I turn people are getting in to mobile game.( Cell phones ) Two of my friends just graduated collage and both of them when in to mobile game development, And now GameDev.net has a new contests (http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/qualcomm2004/) But why? Is it just that is a new frontier that just started to open to the indi developer? Or Is everyone just knottiest how much Nintendo is making off there handhelds and they want a piece too? Or Is it something just a little simpler, The PC gamming world is being over run with huge companies that have the money and resources to dump a million or even two in to a game, To the point where a indi developer don’t have much of a chance of rivaling a big name game. (There are the exceptions; maybe you will be one of them) But Mobile game dev is unexplored territory where the big names have not completely taken over (yet), a indi developer still has a chance to make a name for them self’s. And because of the limitations of the platform people are going back to the basics of game play rather then GFX like back in the day of Nintendo. Some of the mobile games are actually fun because IMHO the developers spent there time working “fun” in to the game rather then making the game look visually stunning. Don’t get me wrong I love games that push the GFX like Doom 3, and make there world seem so real, more like a movie then a game. But most of the time I just want to play a “fun” game. This is why I still play tertis, pac-man, snake, asteroids, space invaders, and bobble bobble Event thou I have doom 3 and far cry sitting on my computer I probably still clock more time in snake, I think we just are too spoiled on the PC platform having the power to put full 3000 poly models in to our project and have them walking around like it was nothing. But if a big name company made a 8bit or 16bit game on the PC they would get laughed at, even if the game was truly fun. While on a cell phone it would be accepted to produce a game using 8bit or 16bit, as long as the game play is good. I think we need to get back to the roots of game play and cell phones give us that opportunity Anyways, Why do you think that so many people are switching to mobile game development? And how is a indi developer suppose to release a game for a cell phones? I thought that they had to be downloaded from the phone company’s websites. Do you think that mobile gamedev is just a fad and will burst like everything else when the hype leaves the market ?
====Funvill[Home|Tiny xml|Boost|Wiki|STL]====================
Advertisement
Probably because cell phones are actually somewhat viable game platforms now. If we can really get decent 3d out of cell phones, it'd rock hardcore.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

funvill, I don't understand either. Phones are bad for inputting text but they do more text entry than numerical entry. Phones are bad input devices for games, but there you go.
I think that it's something that will last. More and more people get cellphones every year, so that's a huge market that's just begging to get developers for. I think it's good for the game industry actually, because as you said, you can't, in most cases realistically compete with commercial titles without huge sums of money. This is getting more to the roots of GameDev I think, and that's a very good thing.
Consider this: In China alone there are projected to be half a billion - that's 500 million - cellular telephones within the next three years. The number of cellular phones in the US alone dwarfs the total number of worldwide current-generation console systems (including the GBA).

Furthermore, people take their cellular phones everywhere. They're ideal for killing time. They're central to social lives. They're both communal and personal devices. They lack that "video game" stigma.

It'd probably help if you stoped thinking of them as "cell phones" and more as alpha versions of Star Trek communicators.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
It'd probably help if you stoped thinking of them as "cell phones" and more as alpha versions of Star Trek communicators.

We can only hope.
Alpha versions? Some of the swankier models look pretty much there, to me. Except cooler, since I don't think the Star Trek models run Sonic the Hedgehog.
Quote:Original post by Etnu
If we can really get decent 3d out of cell phones, it'd rock hardcore.
Microsoft is actually working on a new version of Direct3D for Windows Mobile [wink].
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
Quote:Original post by Etnu
If we can really get decent 3d out of cell phones, it'd rock hardcore.
Microsoft is actually working on a new version of Direct3D for Windows Mobile [wink].

That'd rock hardcore if they got it to work.

"Work" as in well, better than the first several incarnations of Direct3D worked on the PC.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Venture capitalists are providing money to cellphone game dev places. People who write videogames need money to eat, therefore if they're going to go mainstream the best bet is to go to a VC and get money to do cellphone dev, which is cheaper.

It's entirely a matter of money.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement