The Constitution

Started by
6 comments, last by Senses777 19 years, 6 months ago
I have managed to summarize the constitution and the 26 amendments into a relatively short, and simple to understand document. Though it was an arduous journey, I believe that it was well worth it, for I have fortified my knowledge of the constitution and the amendments by writing this document. Tell me what you think of it, any constructive input is welcome. The Constitution and the 26 Amendments:

I. Legislative Branch

A.	Legislative Powers

B.	Composition of the House of Representatives

1. Qualifications of Members

2. Representatives / State

b. 10 year recount

C.	Composition of the Senate

1. Each state shall have 2 senators

a. Each having one vote

2. Requirements

a. Must be 25 years of age

b. Be living in the state to which they are   elected

3. The Vice President is the President of the Senate

D.	Congress Shall meet once per year

E.	Congressional Elections

F.	Senator and Representative salary

G.	Only the House of Representatives can propose bills for raising the revenue

H.	The Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, and to pay debts

I.	Restrictions on the Legislative Branch

J.	Restrictions of States

1. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation

II. Executive Branch

A. Powers and qualifications of the President of the United States

1. He shall hold office during a term of 4 years

2. No person except a natural born citizen may run for president

3. In the even of impeachment, death, resignation, or inability to perform     his duties the Vice President shall assume the role of President

B. The President shall be commander in Chief of the Army and of the Navy

C. He shall recommend and give information of the State of the Union

D. All civil officers shall be impeached for treason, bribery, or other high crimes or Misdemeanors

III. Judicial Branch

A. The judicial power of the United States shall be vested in one Supreme Court

B. The judicial power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under the Constitution, Treaties made, laws of the United States, and all jurisdiction

C. Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying War against them, or adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort

IV. Relations Among States

A. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the Public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State

B. The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several other States

C. New States may be admitted by Congress into this Union

D. The United States shall guarantee each state a government and protection against invasion

V. Amending the Constitution

A. The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to the Constitution.  

VI. Role of National Government

A. All Debts and Engagements entered into before this constitution shall be valid against the United States under this constitution

B. All Senators and Representatives shall be bound by oath, to support the Constitution

C. No religious qualifications apply to any office or public trust under the United States

VII. Ratification

A. The approval of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment for this Constitution between the States

VIII. Amendments

A. First Amendment

1. Religious and Political Freedom

B. Second Amendment

2. Right to Bear Arms

C. Third Amendment

3. Quartering of Soldiers

D.  Fourth Amendments

4. Search and Seizure

E.	Fifth Amendment

5. Criminal Process; Due Process

F.	Sixth Amendment

6. Right to a Jury Trial

G.	Seventh Amendment

7. Civil Trials

H.	Eighth Amendment

8. Punishment for Crimes

I.	Ninth Amendment

9. Other Rights of the People

J.	Tenth Amendment

10. Powers Reserved to the States

K.	Eleventh Amendment

11. Suits Against States

L.	Twelfth Amendment

12. Electing Executive Officers

M.	Thirteenth Amendment

13. Abolition of Slavery

N.	Fourteenth Amendment

14. Civil Rights of Citizens

O.	Fifteenth Amendment

15. Right of Suffrage

P.	Sixteenth Amendment

16. Income Tax

Q.   Seventeenth Amendment

17. Direct Election of Senators

R.   Eighteenth Amendment

18. National Prohibition

S.	Nineteenth Amendment

19. Women’s Suffrage

T.	Twentieth Amendment

20. "Lame Duck" Session

U.	Twenty-first Amendment

21. Repeal of Prohibition

V.	Twenty-second Amendment

22. Two-Term Limit for Presidents

W.	Twenty-third Amendment

23. Voting in District of Columbia

X.	Twenty-fourth Amendment

24. Abolition of Poll Taxes

Y.	Twenty-fifth Amendment

25. Presidential Succession   

Z.	Twenty-sixth Amendment

26. Voting Age Lowered to 18

[Edited by - NoWhereMan on November 15, 2004 10:58:07 PM]
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by NoWhereMan
2. Representatives / State

a. 3/5 rule

Isn't that the 3/5 compromise about how much slaves count towards a population? Didn't one of the amendments nullify that?

Also, I don't thnk senators have to be 35. That is the president. Senators are 25? and Representatives are 30? Correct me if I'm wrong, American History was last year...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Let me reread the constitution again, and I'll go back and edit, if needed.
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
 Y.	Twenty-fifth Amendment          25. Presidential Succession  

That's sorta a little too simplified, don't you think?
I only got half way through, but you're leaving out entirely too much detail. You have a section entitled "Restrictions on the Legislature" but don't bother to say what they are. You explain that 2/3 of both houses can propose an amendment, but don't say how to actually ratify it. You mention a 10 year recount, but don't say what is being counted in the first place, or why it matters. And so forth.

In short, its useless except possibly as a table of contents, in which case there's too much detail in stead of too little.

CM
I'm trying to keep a simplified few words per section, basically summarizing the section and not going into too much detail. (I did this in one sitting)
You really can't simplify the document that forms the basis of our government like that. Of course, I'm personally of the opinion that the Constitution, in it's entirety, should represent no less than a full year of study in highschool. Everyone should know this stuff...gah.

Now then, here's the ultimate simplification:

Constitution:Original Stuff  I.   President  II.  Congress    A. House of Representatives (population)    B. Senate (2 per state)  III. Supreme Court  IV.  Rules and stuff.Stuff That Changed  I.     The right to say stuff.  II.    The right to have guns and stuff.  III.   The right to not have some army dude sleep in your bed.  IV.    The right to not have your stuff ganked.  V.     The right to STFU.  VI.    The right to go directly to jail without paying $200.  VII.   The right to sue dudes for stuff as long as it's more than $20  VIII.  The right to not get all your junk ganked by the man.  IX.    The right to not have your rights taken away.  X.     The right for states to not get ganked by the fed.  XI.    The right to not get ganked by foreigners.  XII.   The right to make an overly complicated Presidential election system.  XIII.  The right to not be a slave.  XIV.   The right to be kept down by the man.  XV.    The right to vote (as long as you have a penis).  XVI.   The right to get raped by the IRS.  XVII.  The right to not keep getting ganked by the same crappy senators over and over.  XVIII. The right to not buy, sell, or make booze.  XIX.   The right to vote (unless you're poor).  XX.    The right to make politicians do their damn jobs.  XXI.   The right to delete XVIII.  XXII.  The right to not have to deal with the same asshole for more than 8 years.  XXIII. The right to pander to non-states.  XXIV.  The right to vote (if you're over 21)  XXV.   The right to let political parties keep their disgusting power holds.  XXVI.  The right to vote (for real this time!)  XXVII. The right to not have congressmen steal even more money from the public coffers.     

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Thanks Etnu, I'v never laughed so hard at the constitution before.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement