Irrlicht Engine DevPak

Started by
18 comments, last by jbadams 15 years, 5 months ago
After evolutional's multiple recommendations of Irrlicht, I decided to give it a try. After getting a simple model rendered using Dev-C++, I noticed that DevPaks.org only had version 0.6 of the SDK in DevPak form, so I decided to create one with the new version 0.9: Irrlicht Engine SDK 0.9 DevPak I need some testers for it though. If you use Dev-C++, could you please just download and install it and see if it runs the template project correctly? I also included the official examples nicely setup for Dev-C++ and everything. If you're looking to get into 3D game development, Irrlicht just might be the easiest way.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
[grin] I will gladly give this a try out! I told Evolutional if he tried out OGRE I'd try out Irrlicht, so your timing is perfect Rob! [smile] Thanks! I will get back to you in a day or two if I do not do so tonight.

Ok that was quicker than I expected [smile]. Upon creation of a new poject, I get this error:
Out of system resources

I do not know if it is me or not. I have not restarted my computer in a day and don't plan too for another day or so. I have recently built OGRE 3 times [lol], as well as done a lot of other stuff, so this may just be me, not you. Perhaps someone else can comfirm that. I can choose continue though and make the project.

I was able to compile, link, and run without a problem, so everything is great! Thanks again, you have made life a lot easier for me once again with your Dev-Pak'ing [wink]

- Drew

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on April 4, 2005 8:26:49 PM]
That doesn't look too good. I just did a full reinstall of both Dev-C++ and the DevPak; seemed to work fine so it must be on your side. Compiling OGRE three times would slow down your system [smile]. Try it again and see what happens. There's also the official examples that they provide inside the Examples directory in the Dev-C++ folder.
Well that's odd. I guess it's my Dev-CPP then. I restarted and got the same thing, but it only happens the first time I go to the multimedia tab. I think the problem must have existed before I installed Irrlicht. I never use that tab, because I forget it's there really. Oh well, I will do some reinstalling later, but I'm sure the problem is not with your Dev-Pak [smile]
I am currently using Irrlicht on a 2d game project. From the newbie perspective this lib is amazingly easy. I gets you DX/OpenGL rendering automaticly. the 2d functions are great and animation is super super super easy. There are tons of great easy data structures, sprite lighting and tinting, lists, GREAT and easy GUI stuffs, and keyboard/mouse routines that a super powerfull. Plus being able to mix 2d and 3d so easily you can get some killer effects with particles and lighting. Id recommed this to anyone just starting out, or an advanced game dev lookig to rapidly dev a 3d game. On the 3d side of things one thing really stand out in my mind that i always had trouble with was collision detection. Irrlicht does it all for you! Great lib and i recommend it.

-chris
All the proper .a files for DevCPP are included in the download from the site, in the DevCPP folder in the archive.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
All the proper .a files for DevCPP are included in the download from the site, in the DevCPP folder in the archive.
Correct, those resources are what I used to put together the DevPak.

I also didn't compile it with DirectX support as it's just a pain to deal with DirectX through Dev-C++. If you want to make a new re-compilation of it, please be my guest, I'd be glad to update it with your modifications.
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Correct, those resources are what I used to put together the DevPak.

I also didn't compile it with DirectX support as it's just a pain to deal with DirectX through Dev-C++. If you want to make a new re-compilation of it, please be my guest, I'd be glad to update it with your modifications.
I don't use it. But on a forum I frequent for Deled (www.delgine.com) someone is working on a loader for the map files into Irrilict, and he uses DevC++ and the newest version. I was under the impression that it worked out of the box? [wow]
Is there an update to this?? Also how does Ogre compare now since a couple of years have passed... or perhaps there are other choices I should look into??!
3. D0n’t us3 l33t sp34k. 3v3r.
You should probably look into using something other than Dev-C++, which is unsupported and not as good as other free IDEs, such as Code::Blocks or MS Visual Studio Express. I can't comment on the current quality of the 2 3D engines however.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement