Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Political Compass 2005

Started by Densun Oct 26, 2005 at 11:51 PM 64 replies 6.1k views
Original Post
Densun
Densun
It's been over a year since the last thread for this was created, so I'm curious to see anyone else has had changes in their results. If your results are difrerent, can you think of any particular reasons why they changed? The old thread is here, and inside that are a couple links to two more threads. I had a noticable change in my results. I'm kind of young so my opinions are still changing. I've come to understand certain things more, see some things in new ways, and had religious beliefs change. Becuase of that, I've become more socially liberal and closer to the center economically. New results: Economic Left/Right: -3.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31 Old results: Economic Left/Right: -7.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
gg83
gg83
Political Compass - Clicky to the compass for the lazy.
"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." - Samuel Johnson
Dreddnafious Maelstrom
Dreddnafious Maelstrom
old results:

Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

new results:

Economic Left/Right: 6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28





basically the same left/right leaning and a tad more libertarian. still in the same group as hayek and freidman.

unfortunately, none of the people they listed are in power today. :(
i guess that means there is room for me [smile]
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
I remember taking the Political Compass test several years ago, so I'll see where I now stand now I'm a bit older:

Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Guess the cliche is true; I am getting a bit more right-wing as I grow older [smile].

denver
denver
Economic Left/Right: 7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
/ what matters most ishow well you walk through thefire. /
aaron_ds
aaron_ds
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Yay for a two party system where my vote doesn't count but I still vote my mind because I don't live in a swing state!
silverphyre673
silverphyre673
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

I'm a pretty negative guy.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
cutthepeace
cutthepeace
Hmmm interesting test, I've never heard of it before but anyway here are my results:

-Economic Left/Right: -6.00
-Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

Hmm, same group as The Dalai Lama and Mandela, wonder if it means anything...
Colin Jeanne
Colin Jeanne
Previous
Economic Left/Right: -0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.92

Current
Economic Left/Right: 1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79
LessBread
LessBread
Today

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

From 8/7/2004 6:53:12 AM

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92


Looks like I've become more lefty and more libertarian since last August, but really I've only just scored more lefty and more libertarian since last August.

At any rate, I think this is an appropriate thread for dropping this link: No Right Turn If Americans haven't gotten more conservative why is the GOP in charge?

Quote:

John Kerry had just barely conceded, and Democrats were still wiping away their tears, when on Nov. 4 of last year The New York Times ran an analysis that argued it was “impossible to read President Bush's re-election with larger Republican majorities in both houses of Congress as anything other than the clearest confirmation yet that this is a center-right country.” The pronouncement seemed uncontroversial, and it reflected the view held by many that Bush's victory was the culmination of a thirty-year swing to the right among the American electorate. Over the last three decades, the base of the Republican Party has veered sharply to the right, with incoming congressmen and senators increasingly far more conservative than the incumbents they replace. Even the Democratic base has moved to the right: An analysis of survey data reveals its own activists are now closer to the views of independent voters than they were 10 years ago. It would seem reasonable to assume that the center of American public opinion has moved in tandem with the government.

Yet, as political scientists Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson argue convincingly in Off Center: The Republican Revolution and the Erosion of American Democracy, there are scant public opinion data to suggest that is so. They cite political scientist James Stimson, who's been recording the “national mood” through a survey of over 200 questions for over two decades and finds Americans no more conservative today than they were in 1972. National Election Survey data reveals that Americans are less likely than they were in the '70s to say that the government is “too powerful,” and the percentages of the electorate that identify as liberal and conservative respectively have remained unchanged for nearly three decades. “It is striking,” they write, “that across all of the major left-right issues, one is hard pressed to find any evidence that Americans are markedly more conservative today than they were in the recent (and even relatively distant) past.”

So what gives? That, of course, is the big question occupying progressive writers, academics, and public intellectuals of all stripes, and if Off Center's answers aren't entirely novel, the book's detail, specificity, and comprehensiveness make it a vital contribution. Two key trends are at work according to Hacker and Pierson: the growing numerical and financial strength of the Republican base and the GOP's refinement of a variety of tactical gambits—unified mostly by their reliance on subterfuge—to subvert the normal mechanisms that prevent majority coalitions from pushing through a radical agenda. All of this combines to produce “a systematic weakening of the institutional bonds that connect ordinary voters with elected politicians to ensure that American politics remains on center.”
...


Off Center (by Jacob Hacker & Paul Pierson) has been getting a lot of lefty press in the last few months weeks. A lot of the discussion has revolved around the "mystery graph", which shows that over the last 40 years Democratic activists have remained much closer to the center of the American political spectrum while Republican activists have veered farther away and towards more extremist views. Needlesstosay, the observation is not without controversy, probably too much controversy and of the wrong kind for television pundits to make much of it. It's not like they make a habit of shooting down their own conventional wisdom.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by aaron_ds
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Yay for a two party system where my vote doesn't count but I still vote my mind because I don't live in a swing state!


Which part of Fresno do you live in Aaron? I live in Old Fig Garden, near Palm and Shaw. Your vote still makes a difference down ballot.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Sneftel
Sneftel
Twenty minutes of my life, and it sticks me right in the middle. Sucks.
centipede
centipede
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

I excpected to be more lefty. Well, I guess The Internet knows these things better than I do. [grin]
aaron_ds
aaron_ds
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Which part of Fresno do you live in Aaron? ...Your vote still makes a difference down ballot.


Just across the street from the university; Shaw and Cedar. As I am a student here, I'm still registered as a resident of my hometown.

You are absolutely right and that is a huge oversight on my part. I do think that as elections become more local, less popular parties are more influential. If only reform could even the playing field on a national level. There are a lot of elements of game theory in how people make their electoral choices, but that is the topic of another discussion.
Eelco
Eelco
old:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

new:
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

i dont feel it says all that much though. i often click a box, knowing: hmm, this is going to have such and such an impact, but what i really mean to say is...

EDIT: for instance: Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers. absolutely, but the same goes for men.

it does reflect a trend however.
oliii
oliii
No previous antecedents.

Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08


Between Nelso Mandela and the Dalai Lama. Good company.
Everything is better with Metal.
Jesper T
Jesper T
Hmm, about where I was last time I tried.

Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Nice Coder
Nice Coder
Economic Left/Right: -0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
oliii
oliii
lots of lefties, and not many actually in agreement with the main world leaders. interesting... :)
Everything is better with Metal.
jfclavette
jfclavette
Economic Left/Right: 2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.28
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.