Finished Product! Now I need a peer review!

Started by
10 comments, last by Krisc 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello Everyone, Over the past 3-4 weeks I've written, with the help of many of you, a functional side-view four player online shooter. Me and my friends have been playing it and coming up with new ideas for it already. I'm looking for user feedback to see what would be nice to add to this game as far as gameplay, features, and even eye-candy. Feel free to comment on anything. Don't spare my pride, I'm really just looking to make this a nice polished game. In my opinion, the only way it will get to where I want it is through many peer reviews and revisions. Here's your clicky On a side note, make sure you run the "NetSetup.exe". This program takes an ip and a name and writes those to a file that the game reads to connect to a server. It then starts the game automatically. Remember to use the ip "127.0.0.1" if you want to player yourself on your own machine. The music may get annoying though, sorry [sad]. Arrow Keys -- Move and Fly Space -- Fire Rocket
toXic1337
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by toXic1337
Hello Everyone,

Over the past 3-4 weeks I've written, with the help of many of you, a functional side-scrolling four player online shooter.

Me and my friends have been playing it and coming up with new ideas for it already.

I'm looking for user feedback to see what would be nice to add to this game as far as gameplay, features, and even eye-candy. Feel free to comment on anything. Don't spare my pride, I'm really just looking to make this a nice polished game. In my opinion, the only way it will get to where I want it is through many peer reviews and revisions.

Here's your clicky

On a side note, make sure you run the "NetSetup.exe". This program takes an ip and a name and writes those to a file that the game reads to connect to a server. It then starts the game automatically.

Remember to use the ip "127.0.0.1" if you want to player yourself on your own machine. The music may get annoying though, sorry [sad].

Arrow Keys -- Move and Fly
Space -- Fire Rocket

I really like it!

The only thing I don't understand is, isn't it supposed to "side scroll"? When I get to one end or the other I can't move any further.
Hah,

Thanks agi_shi for pointing that out. I got over excited and put side-scrolling [lol]... I've edited it to contain "side-view" [grin]
toXic1337
Looks nice.

Problem: You could fly off the screen.
I noticed some pretty big synchronization issues that can cause two players to get very much out of sync. I was running two players on the localhost. I moved one of the players around a lot, and eventually the same person on the other instance of the game was in a completely different position. When I shot, the bullet came as though I was in the proper position.

Perhaps every-so-often you should send out a position for each player to correct this problem.

Otherwise, it's definitely a nice start. I could see having a lot of fun with this if you expanded on it.

Cheers,
--Brian
@nairB:

We just got done playing for like 10 minutes (longest full game we've tested) and I noticed exactly what you are saying and I've already fixed the server to send a packet every 1000ms to snap the players to their true positions.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, they're really helping.

One thing I thought of is making the bullets have a downward force on them so that it takes a little more strategy to shoot someone. This would also remove some of the button-mashing aspects of the game.

I need to work on my background art as well, seems a little plain. And we've already decided that after we remove most of the network bugs and gameplay issues, we're going to make the game a scrolling game. This will let players have a little more freedom to where they can go. Maybe some obstacles as well to block rockets.

Keep em' coming!

toXic~
toXic1337
slightly larger view port if you make it scrolling, make it so you cant go off the top of the screen, other types of weapons (shoot up/down, bombs, etc.), power ups :)
Pretty cool, but things to make it better would be the features suggested by Ceoddyn. Also, maybe an online game finder for people playing the game?
If you fire a rocket in the air you should make yourself move backward a bit, i.e. conserve momentum. Looks good though.
-janoside [Firestorm Engine]
Neat.

Here are some suggestions that I haven't seen yet (or skimmed over):
1) Bots
2) Custom Skins
3) Deformable terrain (ie: worms style, or like this primitive QBasic example I have: SCTman)
4) Jetpack animation (possibly separate this from the actual player animation so that you can have jetpack upgrades that have different animations)
5) (and this one is big) a game finding lobby.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement