Free Visual Studio 2005 Standard -- Offer extended

Started by
64 comments, last by Fruny 17 years, 9 months ago
In case you have missed that offer the first time around, Microsoft extended the deadline to June 30, meaning that you can still get a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (if you are in the US). All you have to do is to watch their webcasts and give them your firstborn. As mentioned in the original thread "it really works": several of us have received our copies already. I can't remember seeing the extended deadline being announced around here, so if I missed a sticky or something, feel free to beat me with an idiot stick. [Edited by - Fruny on May 28, 2006 8:16:06 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
Yep. I got mine. Best deal around.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

You might want to put the "Standard" part in the title. I though this was some really late topic about Express Edition being free forever at first.

Anyhow, thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about this.
I got mine, but the stupid mail service (probably the local C-Ville carriers) royally smashed the box up. Thankfully the CDs weren't damaged, but the free book got ownt, as did what appeared to be the remains of a CD case.

:(
I don't get it. I have already downloaded their webcasts, did I miss something? Can anyone provide step-by-step of what I have to do in order to be considered eligible? Is there a confirmation email? Anyone?
Quote:Shipping Info
Your gift has been shipped to:
Rob Loach
Hasn't arrived yet.... This will make my second copy, the first being the one I got from the VS2005 launch tour they put on last year. Call me selfish....
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Wait, do you have to be in the US? (Despite what my profile says, I am not from the US,thanks to a forum bug)
GamesTopica.Net- http://www.gamestopica.net
Quote:Original post by Extrakun
Wait, do you have to be in the US?

Unfortunately, yes. If you weren't aware of it, you can however download the Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition for free, but the Standard Edition offer is only available to US residents.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I got mine too.

I completed another offer and got the Visual Studio "Discovery" kit as well.
Anyone know if this is for non commercial use only or any other such limitations for use?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement