C++ VS2005 Intellisense

Started by
6 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm having a bit of a problem here, so I have been using DEV C++. I own a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Pro which I used for C#, however I'm now using it for C++ but the intellisense doesn't appear to work. When using C# I can just type i and a list will come up so I can scroll down for int for example. I really would like this feature with C++ to speed up code writing. I really need this problem fixed, if anyone can help me that would be great.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Advertisement
C++ is a much harder language to parse than C#, mostly because of things like the preprocessor and templates, and it's very easy to confuse Intellisense. Sometimes it needs a bit of time to refresh itself after you make changes, or if that fails you can get it to work again by deleting the solution's temporary file(s). However, most of us just get used to living without it. Sorry :)
Most (well, at least usually) intellisense will kick in properly. From the sounds of it though, the "problem" is that the intellisense for C++ pops up a lot less than with C#. When I started playing with C# in VS, I was surprised by how intellisense popped up (and worked correctly!) for pretty much everything. For example, if you start typing "size_t" intellisense won't trigger, but it will if you start typing std::string, since you've explicitly referred to a namespace. For stuff in the global namespace you can explicitly use "::" to trigger intellisense, but that leaves those messy "::"s around (unless of course, you go back and delete them, but then you haven't saved much time at all). Intellisense also doesn't pop up for keywords for C++.

I'm not sure how much/if you can configure intellisense to your liking. You might just have to get used to the difference.
If you hit ctrl-space, it will bring up the Intellisense box just like C#. Is this what you're after?
Yes, thanks! ^_^
I would have liked it if the C++ intellisense would put a bit of order into the popup window. For example, C++ intellisense will show private members amongst the public members from a point in the code where you can't access the private members if you know what I mean. I just don't think Microsoft spent too much time on the C++ intellisense as they did with C# (Probably cause they borrowed it from previous versions of Visual Studio - and did a bit of hacking to get it to work)

It's ok though :-) , because it does make programming easier.
You wouldn't believe how much I miss C# intellisense, now that I use C++ I just need to get use to doing a bit more on my own. It's a really good tool for people learning as well to let you know what is possible to do at that point in your code, too bad C++ doesn't have intellisense like C#.
Quote:Original post by Jettoz
You wouldn't believe how much I miss C# intellisense, now that I use C++ I just need to get use to doing a bit more on my own. It's a really good tool for people learning as well to let you know what is possible to do at that point in your code, too bad C++ doesn't have intellisense like C#.

I guess it must be like me switching to C# after VB. I noticed VB's intellisense works alot better than C# in my opinion. I haven't tried C++'s yet though.
I feel your pain, I mean all that extra typing anyways...
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement