C++ Win32 Question.

Started by
7 comments, last by Jettoz 17 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone, I was messing around with C# today than went on to program a bit in C++ however I have only learned most of C++ just with Console but not Win32 API. I was wondering if Visual Studio 2005 can also use C++ like in C# with the Visual Development, dragging tools on a form for example. I'm guessing thought I will need to learn Win32 API, if anyone can give me a starting point for doing Win32? I have a few sites but I'm looking for books if possible to add to my already large C++ Collection. Right now I'm reading from here: http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ Thank you!
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Advertisement
Visual C++ does have visual form design.
hackerkey://v4sw7+8CHS$hw6+8ln6pr8O$ck4ma4+9u5Lw7VX$m0l5Ri8ONotepad++/e3+8t3b8AORTen7+9a17s0r4g8OP
Oh ok, I see what I did wrong. When I made a project I keep on making Win32 Projects so I tried making a Windows Form project and it allows me to do visual work. I'm assuming this is the right project type to select for this? I'm not using .NET by the way for my projects.
Windows Forms differs from developing applications with the raw Win32 API, as it let you design your windows visually and code events much like in the C# and Visual Basic counterparts. Assuming that you want to learn the Win32 API, you should choose Win32 Project. The website you mentioned is by far one of the best resources for that, but you might also want to consider this book.
When I use Windows Project Form for Visual Development is it using .NET? I've heard you can use C++ with .NET which I want to stay away from. Thanks for all the replies.
Yes. Windows Forms involves C++/CLI, which is a Managed extension to C++ for the .NET framework.
Yea, I was guessing that because it looked so much like when I did C#. I guess I'm off to learn some Win32 API.
You can use a resource editor to make some of the grunt work that the API demands a little easier, however this is one of things not included in the Express Edition. (You seem to be using the full version actually, but maybe it's still worth throwing this out there)

EDIT: Oh, and you can actually use the Win32 API from C#. You can use DLLImport (System.Runtime.InteropServices) directly, or you can override the methods (WinMain, MsgProc) of the Form class which you're presumably inheriting from (directly or indirectly).
[TheUnbeliever]
Thanks bro, I'm learning C++ and C# at the same time right now so I'm trying to learn some Win32 API with C++ because in C# I can already do all of this. I'm also trying to stay away from Managed C++ for now. Thanks for the all the help, it's very much appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement