Python/Pygame mentor?

Started by
6 comments, last by viblo 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello there! I've been programming for about a year, and recently I moved into Python using Pygame. I have a lot of experience from web development, e.g. PHP, but little understanding of OOP. This causes me some trouble and I would like someone that's able to help me through MSN messenger when I have some quick questions or easy errors that I don't fully understand. All I ask is that you are competent in OOP and have experience with Python and Pygame. And even though I'm usually a fast learner it wouldn't harm if you where pedagogical. :) Thanks! /Zyndrof
Advertisement
Well, you could ask your questions here or on the #gamedev (the official GDnet IRC channel) but, if you have AIM and you want, my AIM screen name is in my profile. I haven't been on too often recently, but I may be on more soon.

EDIT: You could also PM me, but if you're going to do that, you probably might as well post on the forums.
How much are you paying?
You can ask me questions if you want. My msn ID is p_chasco at the hotmail.
Just as a note: Instant messaging of any kind is horrible for learning. Since you know answer is immediately available, you won't make mental effort to solve it. And, by sending a message, you interrupt both, your own through process, as well as your peer's.

E-mail based cooperation is better for several reasons:
- You need to consider whether a certain question is worth asking, or finding the solution yourself
- Peer has chance to respond in a more concise manner
- You will learn to describe your problems, not use brute force of ping-ponging messages until you stumble upon solution
- Writing a mail gives you time to reflect on your problem, and often presents a solution by itself

In development circles, IM is strongly disliked, since it destroys most people's thought process, killing their productivity (YMMV). It is however favored by social jobs, who do nothing but communicate. But experience has shown that instant interruptions do more harm than good.

IM is good for instant solutions. But you won't learn much, if anything.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Just as a note: Instant messaging of any kind is horrible for learning. Since you know answer is immediately available, you won't make mental effort to solve it.

What do you mean?

Quote:And, by sending a message, you interrupt both, your own through process, as well as your peer's.

How would it be different in that way than email? You don't have to respond quickly to an IM, necessarily.

Quote:In development circles, IM is strongly disliked, since it destroys most people's thought process, killing their productivity (YMMV).

I don't think I've ever heard that.

Who said that you have to reply quickly to an IM? You could take as long as you want.
Couldn't IMing be good for discussing general ideas and concepts? I do agree, though, that email would make a good supplement to IMing for longer messages.

By the way, my email address is also in my profile.
Quote:How much do you pay?

I don't pay you anything, I don't need the help that badly that I'm willing to pay a large some of money on it. But I do want to learn, and having someone to close at hand is great.

I don't know yet how much I will contact you, but I promise I will try to solve the problem myself at first, and keep trying after I've contacted you. I have experienced the "kick" of solving a bad ass problem myself, and I prefer it that way. But not knowing exactly what a sprite is or why function calls aren't behaving the way I expect them to (since I have experience in some other languages, e.g. PHP) causes some problem when I think I need them.
If you dont find anyone I suggest you go to #pygame (on irc.freenode.net). Its almost always a lot of people there happy to help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement