Math, need advice

Started by
4 comments, last by guywithknife 16 years, 8 months ago
I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the Math & Physics forum, but seing as this is related to graphics, I chose here. Apologies if the Math & Physics forum is more suitable. I think it's about time I brushed up on my math skills and need some advice. I am looking for a book or some other good resource to learn about math related to 3D graphics and Shaders. I find a lot of the math used in shaders is beyond me and as I want to get more heavily involved in 3D graphics and especially shaders, it's about time I fix this. So, I'm looking for some advice or recommendations on some math books which are relevant to either/both general 3D graphics and shaders. Ideally, I'd like a beginners book which doesn't assume too much (I have a basic knowledge of linear algebra and understand vectors and matrices reasonably well, but a refresher even on these would be desirable) which leaves me off with enough knowledge to apply to graphics programming as well as read advanced books on the subjects. (For example, I own a book on realtime graphics which is quite good and I learnt a lot from it, but most of the math, and theres a lot of it, is beyond me) Books on shaders would be a plus too, but right now I'm more interested in getting a good solid foundation in the math behind graphics and shaders. If anyone knows of any good textbooks, please do let me know! Help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
No one..? Should I repost in another forum? Which one?
I had a first-year class in college called "Linear Algebra and Geometry", which had most of what you need to do 3D graphics. On my sencond year I took "Projective Geometry", which had a few missing pieces of the puzzle. You rarely need anything outside of that.

I'm sorry I don't know of any good books to teach you this. Would you be able to take one or two classes in a nearby college?

[EDIT: It looks like it's easy to find Linear Algebra courses online]
Like alvaro says, it looks like geometry is the significant gap in your knowledge. I couldn't suggest you any books myself, but GDNet seems to have made a habit of recommending 3D maths books to me (in my user control panel). Again, I have no first-hand experience but if the name is anything to go by, 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development may be a good starting point.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Most of these books are relevant to the subject (everything but Design Patterns). The Geometry Toolbox or Fundamentals of Computer Graphics are probably your best options.
Thanks all! I really appreciate it. Those books look like what I'm looking for alright .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement