Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Star Wars ASCII (apparently old? but still :])

Started by KeganWalsh Nov 16, 2007 at 10:06 PM 23 replies 5.1k views
Original Post
KeganWalsh
KeganWalsh
Someone just told me about this Go to Start>Run... From the console, type in telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl Hit 'OK' Enjoy! :]
You're unique, just like everybody else.
nts
nts
How is it an XP easter egg if you are telnetting out to another server? Just did a quick google and apparently there is some Star Wars ASCIImation shown.

Ravuya
Ravuya
This is neither an easter egg, nor new.
KeganWalsh
KeganWalsh
Sorry haha. Someone told me it's an xp easter egg. I have no idea what telnetting is so sorry.
You're unique, just like everybody else.
boolean
boolean
Goddamit, spoiler tags
Moe
Moe
Does this thing cover the entire movie? I've been watching it for a good 10 minutes (it seems), and it just keeps going. Someone must have waaaaay too much time on their hands.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does this thing cover the entire movie? I've been watching it for a good 10 minutes (it seems), and it just keeps going. Someone must have waaaaay too much time on their hands.
It must, I quit when the ewoks showed up. The idea is humorous, but two hours of animated text? Not so much.


Edit: Wow. You know you've really lost interest in star wars when you call something an "ewok", but it's not an ewok, but you don't really care anymore what it's called. eh.

[Edited by - Benjamin Heath on November 16, 2007 11:46:51 PM]
Mathachew
Mathachew
Quote:
Original post by ManaStone
I just get a blank window.


Me too :\
Ravuya
Ravuya
When this was first put up a few years ago, I remember being irate that it cut off shortly before the Cantina.
Cypher19
Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does this thing cover the entire movie? I've been watching it for a good 10 minutes (it seems), and it just keeps going. Someone must have waaaaay too much time on their hands.
It must, I quit when the ewoks showed up. The idea is humorous, but two hours of animated text? Not so much.


Edit: Wow. You know you've really lost interest in star wars when you call something an "ewok", but it's not an ewok, but you don't really care anymore what it's called. eh.


Jawa?
mntlinstituteflr
mntlinstituteflr
Quote:
Original post by Mathachew
Quote:
Original post by ManaStone
I just get a blank window.


Me too :\


Go to command prompt and type in the following (without the quotation marks):

"telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl"

It will work.
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by mntlinstituteflr
Go to command prompt and type in the following (without the quotation marks):

"telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl"

It will work.


Apparently it doesn't work for some people. Maybe it's a vista issue. I can't get it to work either.
acidwillburnyou
acidwillburnyou
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does this thing cover the entire movie? I've been watching it for a good 10 minutes (it seems), and it just keeps going. Someone must have waaaaay too much time on their hands.


I doubt someone actually did this by hand.

On my gfx card, i can play games (cs:s too!), watch movies in complete ascii. I'm sure they just recorded this some how... but cool nonetheless.
Lode
Lode
Quote:
Original post by Karan Bhangui
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does this thing cover the entire movie? I've been watching it for a good 10 minutes (it seems), and it just keeps going. Someone must have waaaaay too much time on their hands.


I doubt someone actually did this by hand.

On my gfx card, i can play games (cs:s too!), watch movies in complete ascii. I'm sure they just recorded this some how... but cool nonetheless.


I don't think so, this doesn't look like image to ascii or movie to ascii conversion. The models are actually made out of true ascii art.

My guess it they have some modeler program that makes it easier to draw this than typing characters frame by frame, but still involves animating purely hand-made ascii models.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by mntlinstituteflr
Go to command prompt and type in the following (without the quotation marks):

"telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl"

It will work.


Apparently it doesn't work for some people. Maybe it's a vista issue. I can't get it to work either.
Yeah, I tried showing this to someone with Vista too. It didn't work then either.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.