Pirate Dawn

Started by
78 comments, last by Sandman 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello, My name is Marc Michalik and I have been designing games and simulations since before the computer game industry even existed. I would like to invite everyone to my “retirement web site”. You see, in over 20 years of trying I’ve only ever received a single response to my resume from the computer game industry. That company hired me, and I wound up pretty much single-handedly rescuing their game from an empty engine into shippable form after they turned the design over too me during the last few months of my 1 ½ years there (it was also the last few months of their existence). So I have worked in the industry before. I also worked at a board game company long before that. I give up. The industry has convinced me that they don’t have the slightest idea what they are doing, and that it is a waste of time to try to get their attention any further. I should say that I almost give up, actually. I figured that if I was “retiring” as a game designer, and really don’t care what these people think anymore, that provided me with a perfect opportunity to speak my mind after over 20 years of abuse. At the same time, I can use the attention I hope to attract as one last shot at designing games before I "retire" from being a game designer. I have a web site online with the complete 200-page design document for a revolutionary MMO console/PC game called Pirate Dawn. Most MMO games that follow Pirate Dawn will imitate it in some way, especially the RPGs. It is so revolutionary, in fact, that I actually refer to all previous “MMO” games as MSO, or “Massively Single Player” games. Pirate Dawn creates a whole new structure for MMO games. It has been designed from the ground up, on a foundation of many entirely new and original game mechanics specifically tailored to the MMO environment, to be an actual MMO game rather than merely a single player game that a lot of other people happen to be playing at the same time like all those MSO games that the industry been forced to make so far. Did I mention that Pirate Dawn is 9 years old? It is… and it’s still 10 years ahead of its time today. Much of what I have to say about the game industry is controversial. Things that I say on my web site are controversial. I have a unique perspective on the industry, and really have been involved with game design literally since before the computer game industry even existed (just barely, but I really have). I strongly encourage you to read the actual 200-page Pirate Dawn design document before passing judgment on me or the controversial things that I have said, and will be saying in the future. The whole reason that I have made the design document available is to “put my money where my mouth is”. The things I am saying are far less controversial too anyone who has actually read the Pirate Dawn design document. So I invite everyone and anyone to the Pirate Dawn web site, and if you have an interest in the game please, by all means, join my forums to discuss the game. I'm sure that it can be made an even better game once others have had added some of their unique style into it through their suggestions. Of course, being a part of my forums would associate you with someone who is actually trying to annoy people in the computer game industry. So I'll also be around here to discuss both Pirate Dawn and my perspective on the computer game industry. -- Marc Michalik (A.K.A. Pirate_Lord) Lost Art Studios – www.piratedawn.com
Advertisement
I should start off by saying good luck. It's a wise move to put your design doc up for review or whatever. No one is going to steal your idea and with any luck you can get feedback that will create something better.

I'll be honest I don't have the time/interest to read everything in the document. I did find a lot of vague designs. Maybe they are covered in more detail somewhere else (provide a link to the part of the gdd that gives more detail). You want to avoid using the word "some" in a GDD, you're programmers have no idea how much that is.

I noticed the art comments were very far down the document, I would move that up some so the reader can get a better picture of this game.

When I saw the #2 MMO in the world comment I almost stopped reading. I'm not really sure how to comment on that in a nice way other then say it really needs to be removed.

No pictures? This gives me the impression you want to write a book not make a game. I saw some concept art on your website, add those. Something to show the reader your serious about this. Zone/Environment design is not complete without some pictures. No amount words is really enough for a complete GDD.

I personally prefer the GDD be split into different pages, it's easier to read. When dealing with an MMO this is even more important. Once a game has more then one person working on it you can't have one diary that everyone writes on. Split it up and link pages together for systems that involve each other.
Theres several things that you clearly haven't understood if you've spent all that time trying to push this at publishers/ game companies:

1.Apart from the odd few, games companies aren't interested in making something good. They are interested in making video games - sparkly things aimed at teenage boys, and making money.

2.Talented people are much much rarer than you think. It takes talent to recognise talent, so if you are talented its very unlikely the person is going to realise.

3.People don't like read stuff unless they think they have a good reason to. Like the post above says - pictures help sell the fact that this would be worth reading because a) its shows you have gone that step further to visualise the ideas (even if visuals aren't even that important to the game), b)mean you can write less, so they can read less.
Give them other good reasons to read it - be very confident, include reviews of it, gather good feedback about it and put it on the first page. "best game design i've ever read" : will wright. etc.

4.Its very difficult to prove your design will work. So its probably not that they don't like the design in theory - but without evidence that a great game can be made from your design, how do they know its not just great in theory but shite in practise? Theres a lot of money at stake after all, especially if its an MMORPG. If you can point them at great previous completed games based on your designs you can prove you know how to get the design right.

5.If you can sell the idea to other likeminded people in the same situation you don't have to be a programmer or an artist. If the team size warrants it you could be designer/project manager/salesman/recruiter. Or some other role. The important thing is if its your design - the team will look to you to lead to some extent. Lead by example by putting lots of time in, keep communication going, sort out any issues people are having. The others won't mind that you're not doing anything practical like writing code or modelling as long as they see you leading by example with effort and actual hours.

6.A design document for presentation is not the same as to develop from. Take the design you have and make two versions - one for the reading-phobic publishers and game company recuiters that builds excitement, gives the necessary details, and another one that could be used as a blueprint to make the game.

7.Even if you are lucky enough to be being considered by someone who does recognise talent. Games design documents on their own are not enough. You need to sell yourself, if youre going for a job they are getting you, not just your design ability. You also need to be able to move on from one design you hold dear. Creativity requires us to murder our children. The next one you design will be better.

So bear these in mind, approach people who you think will recognise the talent of a natural designer over a programmer/artist turned designer, but then also don't worry too much about that and get on with making a game. Theres people out there who will help. They might be kids to start off with :) But over time your game will grow, which will attract other more experienced people who will give it a facelift and then others will join and so on and so on...

PS I didn't actually read the design document. I flicked through it but I'm busy, I'm sure thats what happens to everyone you show it to!
Also I'm not sure how much of this is new to you so sorry if I'm stating what you already know!

Pete
You can't approach a company with a GDD and say that this is the best game in the world. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and its the implementation rather than the design that is important.

Unless you have some ability to either code, or produce assets for the game, you will not get work within the industry. A company won't even consider looking at your GDD until you work your way to a position as a lead game designer, and not even till you have established yourself as a good lead designer capable of creating a game that sells. Then maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that they'll look at a GDD for a fairly conservative game. If this proves to be a success, they may be willing to take on larger projects that you come up with, and at some point there may be the slightest, tiniest, most minuscule chance that they might even look at a GDD for an MMO.

Given that all talented game designers have to undergo this process, what makes you believe that you have the right to shortcut this whole process, and walk in to a game company and immediately have them read your GDD and instantly create it?

How can you expect that companies within the industry are willing to utilise a game design from an individual who doesn't have a proven background of success, and more importantly why should they use your design where you will demand a large cut of the potential profits, when they can pay a guy a yearly wage to come up with a design that is probably as successful as yours?

So I think first of all, you need to come back down to earth, and realise that your are not valuable in any way to the games industry as a designer unless you can gradually prove your worth. To be honest what you are saying would be identical to someone saying:
"I came up with this guitar riff that would sound amazing, I can't play guitar, but I've got the sound of it in my head, and after humming it to a record label representative they didn't immediately hire me and turn my awesome riff into the best song ever and pay me half of the profits that my awesome album based on the riff in my head would make. I feel like the industry has abused my genius, and they don't know what they're missing out on so I give up."

I would generally say that your ego is terribly inflated, and if you want any success in the industry, don't try to enter the industry as lead designer on the "#2 MMO in the world", even to assume that 'pirate dawn' will be noticed by the industry is obnoxious beyond belief, given that there are two huge sci-fi MMOs available at the moment, EVE for pc, and Mass Effect which was recently released for the Xbox 360, and the fact that you are not supported by a fusion of companies such as microsoft and bioware.

Your claims that you are correct that pirate dawn would have been one of the worlds biggest and longest lasting MMOs is also complete drivel, given that you cannot rightfully claim such a thing. All in all I think you really need to either learn some humility and disillusion yourself, or as you yourself 'threaten' to do, retire.
Firemonkey I agree with most of what youre saying - be realistic, prove yourself, don't assume it is the best design ever.
But I disagree with the idea that you have to slowly work your way into a designer position. I think its an accurate observation of what normally happens, but I think its one of the ways this industry is retarded.

Lets say your guitar riff was actually incredible, the record label could easily get someone else to play it. So whats really needed is someone at the record label who can tell a good rif from a bad riff. That still leaves the problem of getting them to listen to it in first place. But if you work on your humming skills, shout loud enough about it, get other people to reccommend it they might listen.
Think about other industries - architects aren't required to build house after house, then maybe move on to a small hotel before the big firms are interested. they are spotted at college, and whisked into an apprenticeship with their top architect.

What I'm saying is there needs to be a balance - definitely prove yourself, make a few games, one big one, get education in a range of fields. Then really work on selling your ideas and don't waste your time applying to places that don't understand what a talented games designer is. Its not a playtest co-ordinator, its a not a documentation writer, its not a graphic designer, programmer or illustrator.

And ideas are not a dime a dozen. Only designers seem to know that :)
I read this document because I know how negative we are about a lot of things around here sometimeS. Or maybe we're just realists, I'm not really sure. At any rate, I thought that I should at least look at the document describing the best thing since sliced bread...

Which really wasn't half bad as a GDD. It had plenty of detail but there were a few things that probably could be moved around. In one section you detail some of the ships with all of their stats. I would describe what stats a ship has and then include a link to the appendix where each one is listed.

I think the biggest mistake in trying to get people to look at this is to say how great it is. Confidence is one thing, but it's a fine line. Just look at the posts above, it completely turned most people off and they didn't even look at the document (not saying good or bad, just that it's probably not the desired effect). [grin]

The story of how space piracy began seemed a bit contrived. "Some guy, nobody knows who, stole some stuff and everyone thought it would be fun to try"? On page 171 you have a paragraph for artists that outlines the necessary parts to read to understand the game concept. Chances are they never made it to page 171; I'd try to cram this into some overview at the beginning because I didn't see where you were going with a lot of it until later.

Pictures (diagrams, screenshots, etc) would have made this much easier to "read". And yes, I realize it's a GDD and will be a bit dry, maybe if we point to a smaller document or web page that outlines your ideas and references the GDD for further clarification? I like the term Jump Gate, but I don't think it's currently thought possible for a natural wormhole to be self-sustaining or large enough for ships (correct me if I'm wrong Hawking).

Hope this doesn't come across as being too negative. Sadly, most criticism usually seems to deviate that way.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” b- Thomas Alva Edison

Check out my current project on Kickstarter: Genegrafter
Wow, I think you guys have been a just a tad harsh on this guy. I think his attitude is a bit ballooned, but still.

I'm honestly not going to read through a 200 page GDD from some guy I don't know on the internet. I can say that I perused it and the first thing I noticed was the lack of organization and the lack of graphics in the document. The point of a GDD is to be able to effectively communicate a design so that artists and programmers can use it as their bible in building a game. If they have to spend oodles of time hunting for the tidbits they need, then the purpose of the document has failed. I agree as well that it is WAY too much information for a single document. Break it down.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I started reading it, I got to the game play, read the first few lines, and closed it.

The good guys and the bad guys? Can anyone say boring? Why do I want to read this? If I'm a company then I have lots of people already working for me with ideas just as good as yours, and frankly, it starts off looking like it wants to be everything and sounding like it is going to be nothing a teenager's day dream fantasy of what he wants to make when he grows up. AKA, impossible, and likely boring to actually play.

If you want anyone to read what you have to say with it, you have to find more ways to draw us in.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
*chuckles*

Great parady.

And I do, for your sake, hope this is a parady.
I'm not going to attempt to reply to any individual posts at this time because none of you have had enough time to actually read Pirate Dawn. One of you claimed too, but clearly did not read the entire design document. I will only make a few general comments regarding all of the replies I had read up until this point.

1. I never said it is "the greatest thing since sliced bread", please avoid saying things yourself, attributing them too me, and then attacking your own words.

2. It seems as though most of you replying actually read the preview on the web site and not the design document.

3. The design document is not fully complete, and I agree that it needs some more work in the organization area. The "disorganization" is due largely to the vast revisions it has undergone continually for many years. There was a time when it was far more organized... but not nearly as good a game. I do agree that I need to revist that aspect and get it into better shape in that regard. But it's not quite as disorganized as I think you are imagining, the order things are in will make more sense if you actually read and take it all in.

4. I have some articles I am trying to have published that address many of the comments made so far in this thread, I will wait for those to be published before addressing those issues. If I can't get them published I will use them to start threads here. Too the person who said "make it shorter, it's too long"... one of those articles will answer your comment:-)

5. Pirate Dawn is not "vague designs", it is a actually a playable game as it stands right now. There are existing board game rules that could be used to handle the actual moving and shooting, and you could actually play it right now as a board game (in playtest form). I am an experienced board game designer, and Pirate Dawn is actually a playable game as it stands. Maybe you should actually read it.

6. Pirate Dawn most certainly would have been the #2 MMO game in the world in 1999, and still would be today. There is no doubt about that at all. It is also the MMO game that will be imitated by most MMO games that follow it. It truly does create an entirely new structure for MMO games. Those other games are actually "Massively Single Player" (MSO) games by comparison.

7. I have been asked to review computer game industry design documents before, so lying too me about them won't work. You can drop the act, I've seen the useless 20-40 pages of vauge notes that you people call a "design document".

8. Someone only read the opening background and critisized the story based on that. The answers to all of those questions that you think go unanswered are there if you keep reading the story elements:-)

9. The design document is already "broken down in smaller parts". It can be broken apart in as many pieces as you like in about an hour based on the alpha-numeric sections. It is all together as one book now, but is already designed to be quickly seperated into seperate parts very quickly.

10. The last thing that a design document needs is a bunch of pictures getting in the way. Amatuers need the pretty pictures to distract from the fact that they are incapable of desiging a game on paper and their "design document" is actually 20-40 pages of vague notes that is mostly irrelivant story. Pirate Dawn is actually a playable game. If someone is such a moron that they need pretty pictures to look at or the design document is too much for them, then they really have no business making such decisions in the first place.

11. This is not parody... this is my retirement from game design:-)

This initial reaction is exactly what I was expecting, which is why I am not bothering to answer all of the replies in detail. It will take time before a few people other than myself have had time to actually take Pirate Dawn in. I'm not going to waste my time getting too serious here until there are a few people who have fully taken it in and understand it. Then this initial reaction will go away and we can have a meaningfull discussion.

I really have been designing games since before the computer game industry existed. And Pirate Dawn really is a very special game, the kind you only get to play every 10 years or so. It is also truly revolutionary in many very meaningful and tangible ways. Anyone who actually reads it, and truly takes it all in, will be able to tell you that. It also really is 9 years old.

Mostly you've all told me things I already knew 15 years ago. The articles I'll have out there soon one way or another address most of the replies so far. Take a little time and take it in, you are reading the work of someone who, most likely, was designing games before you even had an interest in playing them. I'm not boasting at all, simply trying to make it understood that I am not some kid with "his dream game" saying "my game is the best thing since sliced bread". In fact, I consider Pirate Dawn to be my 3rd best game... not even my own best, let alone "the best". And I have worked in the game industry before, both board games and computer games.

Take the time to actually take in Pirate Dawn. You will, most likely, learn a lot. You'll also discover a truly revolutionary and groundbreaking MMO game that will be imitated for years to come. All of those others are "MSO" games in comparison.

-- Marc Michalik (A.K.A. Pirate_Lord)
Lost Art Studios -- www.piratedawn.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement