SVN support in Eclipse Galileo

Started by
6 comments, last by ukdeveloper 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi folks, Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am tearing out clumps of my hair right now. Essentially, I'm trying to get SVN support from within Eclipse Galileo so that I can connect to an offsite SVN server. The problem is, nothing is working in terms of plugins after they're installed. I have gone through the motions and, supposedly, installed both Subversive and Subclipse but, having followed the instructions to the letter, there is still no mention whatsoever anywhere in the IDE regarding SVN. This is why I've tried both, because neither worked. Some of the instructions say (e.g. this) that you can go into the Window->Preferences->Team settings to configure SVN connectors, but I don't see anything at all about SVN. Nor is there the option of an SVN perspective in the Perspectives menu that I see in other guides which follow the same instructions and it's like i never installed anything at all. I don't think I have SVN installed locally, but I do have TortoiseSVN, and the whole point is that I'm connecting to an offsite server which has SVN running, so I shouldn't need it locally, right? What am I missing and why isn't it working? I receive no errors at all from Eclipse and, on the face of it, everything should be fine. I scanned my system for all traces of Eclipse and deleted it all to go back to defaults and start over, but again no dice with the clean Eclipse install. I know there's often bad things said about SVN but it's a non-negotiable requirement of this project that I use it, so I need to get it working from within Eclipse and the convenience of this would be far greater than TortoiseSVN on its own. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ukd.
Advertisement
How did you install the SVN plugins? If you go to Help->Software Updates... does it show the SVN plugins in the installed list at all?
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
How did you install the SVN plugins? If you go to Help->Software Updates... does it show the SVN plugins in the installed list at all?

I installed the plugins using the instructions above (and many other different, but similar instruction listings) and, by most accounts, that should be it.

I go into the Plug-ins list on the Installation Details screen (Galileo moved a load of stuff around in the menus so it takes a bit of hunting) and there's nothing about SVN in the plugins list at all. But, on the Installed Software tab, there's all the stuff I previously installed.

According to the instructions, afer you install there should be an SVN option when you go to Window->Preferences->Team, but there isn't even though everything appears to have installed error free.

I'm really confused; maybe I'm misunderstanding what the instructions are getting me to do? As far as I'm concerned, the plugins should now be installed but I'm not seeing them.
If you haven't done this yet, you also have to install some additional plugins from the following update site: Polarion - http://community.polarion.com/projects/subversive/download/eclipse/2.0/galileo-site/

Expand Subversive SVN Connectors and select "Subversive SVN Connectors" and "SVNKit 1.3.0 Implementation".

I can't exactly remember what the reason was behind this considering it's been a while since I installed the Subversive plugin, but it solved the problem.

EDIT: Apparently, this has already been covered in the link you provided. One difference I noticed is that I don't have the JavaHL plugin selected. Also, maybe Eclipse needs a restart?
I'm afraid it still doesn't work. It's getting to the point where I'm going to ask for a change in the "non-negotiable" requirement and use a different SCM, because this is just stupid.

Thanks for your help so far, though. Problem still stands - nothing at all about SVN inside Eclipse even though I've followed the instructions and installed all the right stuff. Eclipse and my PC have both been restarted.
AFAIK TortoiseSVN is the best SVN browser on the planet, and likely superior to an SVN plugin for an IDE (except it's not integrated of course, and, only for Windows). Maybe it's not even the biggest problem if the plugin doesn't work thanks to having a working TortoiseSVN? BTW normally of TortoiseSVN works, you should have SVN installed on your PC too because TortoiseSVN uses it.
I've had problems trying to get Subversive working before as well, I'd suggest trying Subclipse instead (and from their official update site rather than the rather odd update sites listed in some of those instructions). I've got 1.6.3 (from http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectProcess;jsessionid=3F6B25644204177AE29475EF1AD8220E?pageID=p4wYuA ) working with Galileo 3.5.0 so it should work.

I would also recommend looking in the eclipse log to see if something is throwing an exception on startup. You'll find it in your workspace dir under .metadata/.log
Life really, really is too short.

I've been given the green light to use CVS instead. At least Eclipse has built-in, working support instead of having to swear profusely and cross my fingers.

Thanks for at least trying to help, though. I'm off to grow my hair back and actually get on with writing some code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement