Selling Indie... XNA/PC - What is your experience?

Started by
17 comments, last by lithos 13 years, 11 months ago
Hi, So I've been checking on the net to see what kind of sales one could expect from an indie product put onto the XBOX LIVE XNA club and from onsite PC refs. My result is that, the median, was something along those lines: XNA Sales: 3000 Sale Price: 5$ Sale Cut: 70% Net Income: 10500$ PC Sales: 2000 Sale Price: 5-10$ Sale Cut: 90-95% (Paypal) Net Income: 9000$ - 19000$ Total Income: 19500$ - 29500$ Personal Expenses: 3000$ (Ads/Hosting/etc) Developer's Cut: 80% Personal Profit: 3900$ - 5900$ Time Invested: 2000 Hours Hourly Rate: 1,95$ - 2,95$ Of course, this could be better if the quality of the game would increase, but I would assume that expenses would also increase, thus making the ratio pretty much the same. Would you say this is realistic? (In which case, making a game wouldn't be a very profitable hobby :P) Do you have stats of your own you'd like to share? (I know a lot of indie don't want to but...) [Edited by - Orymus on May 15, 2010 1:33:17 PM]
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Orymus
In which case, making a game wouldn't be a very profitable hobby :P)

There are very few "hobbies" that are. By definition a hobby isn't something you do for money.
I released two games in Xbox Live Indie Games, Bennu and Attack of the 50ft Verbose Dinosaur. So far none broke 200 copies sold. :)
Quote:Original post by Demosthenes
Attack of the 50ft Verbose Dinosaur.

The name alone should have made you a small fortune.

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Quote:Original post by Demosthenes
I released two games in Xbox Live Indie Games, Bennu and Attack of the 50ft Verbose Dinosaur. So far none broke 200 copies sold. :)

What is your pricing and advertising method? How much flexibility do you get on doing things like bundled games and such on the Xbox?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
One thing you'd need to consider is paying taxes. I don't think Microsoft deducts taxes for you when they cut you your check from the Xbox Live Indie sales. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:The name alone should have made you a small fortune.

If only. :)

Quote:What is your pricing and advertising method? How much flexibility do you get on doing things like bundled games and such on the Xbox?

Bennu originally sold for 400 points (5 dollars/euros), about 6 months later I reduced the price to 240 points. Attack of the 50ft Verbose Dinosaur has been selling for 80 points.

I sent several emails when I put both games on sale. I recommend sending a trailer to gametrailers.com. I never heard of them refusing any indie game and they are a very popular site. There's also a thread here that lists websites that review xbox indie games. I'm not sure if you need a creators club membership to view it.

I'm not sure what you mean with bundled games... You mean compilations with several indie games? I don' know if it has been done before on the xbox.

Quote:One thing you'd need to consider is paying taxes. I don't think Microsoft deducts taxes for you when they cut you your check from the Xbox Live Indie sales. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Microsoft keeps 30% of the money you make from the games and you have to pay another 30% of taxes (after Microsoft takes their cut, which means you keep 49% of the profits).

Overall, it's really hard to live from xbox indie games. There are few success stories, mostly involving a game with zombies and/or avatars or apps like massagers or screensavers. There are also many quality games, like the Arkedo series or pretty much all from Mommy's Best. But even these developers say they are barely doing enough to keep them going.

If you want to sell I'd recommend doing a game that people can pick up and play immediately and which appeals to most "standard" xbox 360 players. Bennu's controls were really hard to master and most people that come to the xbox indie games channel are looking for a quick break from the AAA games, not something to invest their time in. Attack of the Verbose Dinosaur is a word/action game hybrid and it is doing better, but not that great either.
I was not aware of these taxes? What are they? (I mean, I know about Microsoft's 30% cut, but that other 30%?)

Also, I'm using the xbox release as a support for my pc release. Developping in XNA simply allows to sell to two markets instead of one. Since profit is scarce for indies, its one way to try and improve it.

Oh and, I have the XNA licensing.

And 200 copies is sad :( How many tries did you have though?
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Quote:Original post by Orymus
I was not aware of these taxes? What are they? (I mean, I know about Microsoft's 30% cut, but that other 30%?)

Taxes

If you can get you're game on steam, you can make about 60% ($30 per $50 game)

My personal goal is 2000 copies at $20 (roughly $10) ~ more than I make a year now.
486ing for life

http://www.gearcity.info/
http://www.ventdev.com/
Ya, I know what taxes are, but I am not based in the usa, so I'm wondering which taxes apply? Mines? Theirs? Both?

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement