Selling Indie... XNA/PC - What is your experience?

Started by
17 comments, last by lithos 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Orymus
Ya, I know what taxes are, but I am not based in the usa, so I'm wondering which taxes apply? Mines? Theirs? Both?

not 100% but you'd paid Canadian income taxes.
In which case, you'd still pay ~20% + any other taxes y'all have.

It's something you'd need to talk over with an accountant, or tax consultant with.
486ing for life

http://www.gearcity.info/
http://www.ventdev.com/
Advertisement
Releasing your first indie game with the idea of it making money is probably a bad idea. At least on the PC side the developers that generally make any kind of money are the ones who have several games out and have built a bit of a name. Most of the indie stuff that does sell is generally casual type games. A 2D RPG might be a bit harder of a sell because of the level of involvement that goes in to them. XNA may be a bit of an issue as well because of the additional installation needed.

Really ought to just count on making nothing for this game (maybe enough to cover expenses) and just use it as a stepping stone for your team to make your next game. The numbers you do see are for the lucky ones. Most indie games are probably lucky if they sell 300 copies in a lifetime.

To touch on your post about royalties from the other day. This is another reason why I won't mess with a game that only offers royalties as pay. I've personally seen how hard it is for a indie game to get picked up. I have a complete causual game that every major casual publisher declined on, nevermind that all the people we demoed it to loved it. The chances of an indie game making enough money to pay a team is very slim. One or two man teams are probably about the only ones that would make any money.
Actually, I'm not trying to make a profit with this one particular game. I just don't want it to bankrupt me.
The whole point of the current exercise is having an idea how much the royalties will pay for. I want to pay the team that contributes to the effort. I don't expect to get a single $ from the exchange.

Indeed, XNA looks pretty grim in terms of developer rate :S
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
On the other hand, if you already have a job (that you're happy with), it might be a good way to make some beer money on the side.

Don't think I'd want to try doing it for a living! (But to be honest, I don't think I'd want to try selling indie games for a living, full stop. I'm sure there are success stories, but it's far too risky for my taste)
I had an 'argument' with my gf where i totally won... the summary would be:

Her: But you're not making a lot of money out of it right? I mean, you couldn't buy more than one week of groceries?

Me: So?

Me: How much do you spend on your hobby?

Her: about X$

Me: My hobby earns me (earnings+X)$ more than you

-end of argument-

point is, most hobbies COST something.
If you enjoy something and turn up a profit, no matter how small, I consider it like the hobby paid for itself.

And yes, I like my day job enough for this to be just a hobby :P
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
Quote:Original post by Orymus
Actually, I'm not trying to make a profit with this one particular game. I just don't want it to bankrupt me.
The whole point of the current exercise is having an idea how much the royalties will pay for. I want to pay the team that contributes to the effort. I don't expect to get a single $ from the exchange.

Indeed, XNA looks pretty grim in terms of developer rate :S

That was what I was trying to get at. Your original numbers are very optimistic based on the 'successful' indie game. In reality you are probably looking at 300 total copies sold if you are lucky. Though if you advertise the crap out of if and get some of the indie game sites to review it you will most likely increase your sales (and your money invested). Given that this is your first game its unlikely that anybody is making any profit.

I'm probably a bit jaded since my game didn't go anywhere. But for the most part even the successful indie developers usually have a day job. That should tell you how much money is actually made. As you said, most hobbys take money.
One thing of note is that XNA is great for students. Many students want to learn how to do the programming anyway, and if they can make a little extra ramen noodle money on the side it helps that much more.

The obvious advantage of this project is that, unlike in the biz, you get to make your 'dream game' without your 'dream bankrupty'.

I have a blog!
Flash rather than XNA but I'm sure it will hold some use: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27924/InDepth_Behind_Flash_Game_SteamBirds_Revenue_Deals.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement