Proposal Catalogue

Started by
3 comments, last by monalaw 14 years, 5 months ago
Mike T's asked me to collect up all the proposed projects for easy viewing into a single post, so here we go. Links to detailed discussion threads, plus brief descriptions - if you put forward a new project idea, feel free to edit this post to add it (or just add a post and I'll copy through for you). This should make it easier to plan out long-term site development. Also, I'm going to try and sort this so that there's a dedicated thread for each entry - currently, some links point to posts in larger threads, but dedicated threads are really ideal for hashing out the details. New Apps (large new features, probably done as apps on the GDNet platform)
  • Media Gallery A "GDS for art," targetted at artist users who can't necessarily put their art into a full-blown GDS project.
  • Team Manager A collaborative development system for virtual teams; manage people, tasks, scheduling, etc. Microsoft Project in a website. Integrated with other features (eg source control) to allow a complete virtual team hosting solution.
  • Contractor Directory Directory for small/independent contracting firms (aimed at the one-man outfits who can't cough up for full-scale advertising, but would like something more organised than Help Wanted).
  • Asset control Like the name says. Simple repositories running CVS or Subversion that members can use to keep their project sources in. Also consider publishing directly from source to the GDS, and automated build scripts.
  • Bug tracker Bug tracking facility for users to track bugs in their GDS/Asset control projects.
  • Subscribed content (see also this thread) A system for 'channels' of content, structures in which new content is published periodically (such as article columns, contests, jobs, or even forums/threads), and to allow users to 'monitor' specific channels for updates.
  • Member map A world map displaying rough user location data (one dot per user, kinda thing). Feeds from a longitude-latitude value in the user profile, though that value can be set through clicking on the map (image map). Also consider extending it to statistics like most active at certain times of day.
  • Web Services API Groundwork for non-http querying of site content.
  • GDBar In-browser toolbar providing users with some GDNet features, and alerts on new stuff.
Large features (significant changes/additions to existing apps)
  • Developer Bookshelves Personalised book listings, linked into profiles and books system. Includes things like a wish list.
  • Attachments Add attachments to posts, uploading the file into the user's webspace.
  • Watched Users A system to allow moderators (or possibly even regular members) to 'track' other users - particularly useful for monitoring suspicious signups (banned members).
  • Post preview system Functionality for parsing a post and generating the output HTML without having to enter it into the database and everything, allowing 'previews' for all site postings (forum, PMs, news, journals, etc).
  • Quick Code Buttons Client-side scripted buttons for inserting commonly-used forum code and smilies into a post window.
  • Reworking Start_Here Updating/reworking of the For Beginners section.
  • News section face-lift General cleaning of news section
  • Change history System for recording the complete history of a post or topic.
Small features (smaller additions/changes to existing apps)
  • Edit other user's post Reinstate the "You are about to edit another user's post!" dialog box that existed in the old forums.
  • PM send delay The ability to mark a PM for delivery at a specific time.
  • Journal Additions 'Buddy' journals, customizable links bar, shortened archive list, from-webspace image selector.
  • Per-user date formatting Fixing up all dates across the site into a user-configurable schema (i.e. MMDDYYYY vs DDMMYYYY vs YYYYMMDD, etc).
  • Free rating thresholds Allowing users to enter a number into a text box instead of selecting a level from a pulldown.
  • Ratings -based filtering additions Hiding topics created by people below your user threshold; whitelists and blacklists.
  • Printable format threads Generate a printable version of a forum thread (i.e. all on one page, cut out the cruft, etc)
  • Search Enhancements Search between dates, multiple specific forums, filter by rating, sort, filter by username, titles only, plus enhanced search engine (support for booleans, phrases etc).
(work in progress - yes I know there are things missing) [Edited by - superpig on October 2, 2004 9:10:00 PM]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Flagging System Tweaks - A couple of extra tweaks to enchance the post flagging system.

Editable FAQ Knowledge Base - Extending the FAQ to allow selected forum users to add new pages and change content of the forum FAQs.

Extended User profiles - Extending a user's profile to collect more information about a user's interest and experience. Useful for community sharing and for marketing/push advertising purposes.

Allow moderators to see user's alias - Allow moderators and staff to see the aliases of users when viewing their profile.

[Edited by - evolutional on October 29, 2004 3:42:08 PM]
Teeny fifteen-second change: Disallow /community/forums/post.asp in the robots.txt file. Currently, for each thread, Google indexes the thread's page and a bazillion corresponding "reply" and "post" pages, one for each reply in the thread. Disallowing this page (which nobody would conceivably search for, anyway) would clean up google results for Gamedev quite a bit.
I want to propose a "journalists" page, where all the writers and ppl who cover for gamdev.net for different things have a profile and links to their work.

It serves two good purposes. One, the credibility by way of depth of the brand is advanced through mediazation, and two, individual contributors working for gamedev.net have a public profile link to the journalism, PR and business entities and networked contacts in the game development industry.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

DMCA compliance? I don't know if this is something you guys feel is worth doing, but I've seen posts suggesting that this is a worry (or at least liability is a worry) and provided the site has the budget to to pay the copyright office DMCA agent registration fee ($105) I can file that paperwork and revise the TOS to include DMCA safe harbor notification procedure.

And remember, I'm a volunteer here too. :)
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement