Triangles Winding...

Started by
11 comments, last by Alex Red 18 years, 8 months ago
Basically , you can't , i've tried some time ago too, i tried every plane equation and type of cw or ccw identification scheme, unless you pick the correct winded triangle and start from that, there is no way to tell the pc
if the modeller who did the mesh wanted that triangle to be cw or ccw, forget about the normal, it works only if your mesh is totally enclosed with no concavities ( just a bubble or a sphere ).
Of course i could be wrong , but i did try *everything*
Advertisement
How do you know they have no CCW order? Because they lit wrong? because they don't get stripped properly?

surely the mesh must have some sort of hints on how the faces are oriented. Like vertex normals, or lighting.

Also, as said before, you cannot have two triangles sharing the same edge, also sharing the same vertex ordering. On one triangle, the edge from the winding order maybe point A and B in that order. On the other triangle, it's got to be from B to A.

But artists messing up with winding orders unconsistent meshes (T-junctions, bad welding, ect...), ought to get a slap between the ears.

Everything is better with Metal.

Well...
Basically still I dunno if it works... math speaking and looking at model for me it should... as the old Engine ( BSP ) was using plane normals to find the culling of a triangle...
However... I found why id does not work at present... speaking with Artits found that the triangles giving problems seems to be transformed on the fly while drawing model...
and guess a transformation...? Mirroring along an axis ( what an idea... )...
that makes same vertices of the mirrored triangle winded from CCW to CW...
and I could not see before as my test procedure is applied converting the model, and it's done at DB level, and not when it's drawn...

so... tnx to any1 for help anyway

I'll fix this too and then try the procedure

[R]ed

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement