Bioware's New Direction

Started by
33 comments, last by Hakiko 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
yes, but said MMOG increases revenue to allow for the hiring of more development teams.

I don't know about that, I mean sure the revenue could be really good, but once you get into that steedy income confort zone, what incentive would move you to take a risk such as funding a new single player game? You no longer live from Game to Game, the uncertainty and stress of whether or not the game will be a success or not is no longer there, why would you want to go back to that?.

But well, I really dont know.

Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
Which, in turn, refuse to hire capn_midnight because they're only looking for project leads [grin]

Indeed. [lol]

[Edited by - Kwizatz on March 20, 2006 6:47:00 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Eelco
please, all people with the 'monthly fees are not fair' syndrome shut up.

if i would be able to sell my shit for 100$ a dropping, that would be a fair price, otherwise i wouldnt be selling it.

get over yourself. its certainly a more viable and arguably more fair business model. chances are you are just a pirate whos frustrated he cant play games for free anymore.

I said "more fair".

My complaint was that people have a tendancy to act like Guild Wars is somehow as big as a cost as most other MMO's, when it is in fact much cheaper. Guild Wars is profitable without trying to squeeze as much money from me as they can possibly get away with. That strikes me as being fair.

But that is my perspective on what being fair is. If your idea of fairness is that a company should aim to rake in as much money as some people are willing to give it, then I suppose the standard MMO model would be more fair.

The fact that you have an opinion is certainly not a good reason to tell everyone to shut up. Perhaps you should be the one getting over yourself.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Quote:Original post by LockePick
Quote:Original post by Eelco
please, all people with the 'monthly fees are not fair' syndrome shut up.

if i would be able to sell my shit for 100$ a dropping, that would be a fair price, otherwise i wouldnt be selling it.

get over yourself. its certainly a more viable and arguably more fair business model. chances are you are just a pirate whos frustrated he cant play games for free anymore.

I said "more fair".

My complaint was that people have a tendancy to act like Guild Wars is somehow as big as a cost as most other MMO's, when it is in fact much cheaper. Guild Wars is profitable without trying to squeeze as much money from me as they can possibly get away with. That strikes me as being fair.

why is guildwars' busines model 'more fair', or cheaper? say i buy it, and i come to the conclusion MMORPG's are gay within a day. oops, lots of money down the drain.

if i am a fulltime junky who lives for WoW, i pay a small sum for that (really try smoking, or harddrugs, they are a lot more expensive), which isnt that weird: im continually using their resources, and in $ per hour of playtime, its really nothing.

whats unfair about paying according to use?

Quote:
But that is my perspective on what being fair is. If your idea of fairness is that a company should aim to rake in as much money as some people are willing to give it, then I suppose the standard MMO model would be more fair.

my idea of fairness is that YOU have the right to sell YOUR (intellectual) property on YOUR OWN terms.

Quote:The fact that you have an opinion is certainly not a good reason to tell everyone to shut up.

it was merely a suggestion for your own good. you are making a fool out of yourself.
Quote:Perhaps you should be the one getting over yourself.

nah.
Sorry to break up your MMORPG discussion, but has anyone seen this news from Bioware. It seems that the lead designer "Ferret" of NWN2 not only got pulled from the project, but also left Obsidian.

I'm wondering, Obidian is a Bioware subsidiary, just like the Bioware Austin studio would be, right? It seems odd that Bioware would attempt a MMORPG while their main publisher Atari already has DDO out. Especially since these three things happened more or less at the same time, Atari doing bad, Obidian lead developer leaving and Bioware hinting at a MMORPG. Probably all just coincidental, but it it does leave plenty of room for wild speculation [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
They have used other publishers though. Didn't Microsoft publish Jade Empire (not sure on this)? And isn't Microsoft the publisher for Mass Effect?
This could work well with the fact that Microsoft has already expressed that they are looking for more MMOs for XBox 360 (and from all accounds neither WoW or VSoH are coming)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement