Loading a model

Started by
3 comments, last by D Shankar 17 years, 9 months ago
I have been using Blender for about a month now and i have created a character and am in the process of animating it. But should i create individual animation e.g. one for walking and save that and then create one for running then save that? Also how do i load a character in to directx using dev c++.
Advertisement
not too sure about the first part of the question (never used 'blender').

as for loading in models, you will either have to download a model loader or write one. to this end it may help exporting your blender file to a more popular file format that has tutorials about loading it into programs.
Export the model in DirectX .X format. Use D3DXLoadMeshFromX() function to load it into a Mesh data structure. Then you can draw that with DrawSubset(). There is a tutorial right here
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
The model should contain all the animations.

I never used Blender either, but look if you can export your model in .x to load it with DirectX... you can also export it in another format if you know how to load it. But DirectX documentation show you how to load .x model. I use Panda exporter with 3DsMax... don't know if you can use the same one with Blender though.
There are plugins available for exporting I'm sure but I thought it can export without any external plugins?

.X is good for all DirectX animation for any given model. You should probably save your original one as .3ds just in case of any mess ups (you don't want to lose your whole model because of human error).

Are you looking to load it into a game or use it in a small program?
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement