Homeland Security Funds Software Project To Monitor Anti-American Sentiment Abroad

Started by
24 comments, last by Dmytry 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by BBB
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
I live abroad and having knowledge that such a project exists greatly increases my Anti-American sentiment.
Advertisement
I don't worry much about it. The reality is that these types of programs increases the need for people setting in offices. I don't really much care what the NSA, CIA or FBI are doing while they are setting in the office. What I worry about is what they do when they leave the office. Programs such as this keep them chained to the desk where they belong. Better them reading my posts on this board than snooping around my house.

When we actually increase the number of agents in the field rather than coming up with more and more reasons why they can't leave the office then I'll worry. It's a nice little fantasy that such programs reduce the need for analysts but they really just increase the flow of senseless drivel. You end up needing ever more people to monitor and control the computer. Really, not since the 70's have computers decreased the manpower needed to do most real world tasks. I'll worry when they actually have the manpower to pursue useless leads.

Despite all that conservatives rant and rave about the need for smaller government this adminstration has done nothing create an ever bigger more bloated government. These types of programs are a prime example of it. Bigger government would be a thing to worry about if they actually did it in a manner that accomplished something productive. All they really do is spend ever more on ever less. They aren't paying for it so reality is we're going to cut it way back long before they could actually manage to do jack.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
I say crash the software by feeding it paradoxes.

ALL INTERNET POSTERS ARE LIARS.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Here's a corollary story: Google boss warns politicians about Internet power

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Imagine being able to check instantly whether or not statements made by politicians were correct. That is the sort of service Google Inc. boss Eric Schmidt believes the Internet will offer within five years.

Politicians have yet to appreciate the impact of the online world, which will also affect the outcome of elections, Schmidt said in an interview with the Financial Times published on Wednesday.

He predicted that "truth predictor" software would, within five years, "hold politicians to account." People would be able to use programmes to check seemingly factual statements against historical data to see to see if they were correct.

"One of my messages to them (politicians) is to think about having every one of your voters online all the time, then inputting 'is this true or false.' We (at Google) are not in charge of truth but we might be able to give a probability," he told the newspaper.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Such a “sentiment analysis” is intended to identify potential threats to the nation, security officials said.

THIS JUST IN: A new potential threat to America has been discovered. It consists of "the rest of the world". Film at 11.
Quote:Original post by Paradigm Shifter
I say crash the software by feeding it paradoxes.

ALL INTERNET POSTERS ARE LIARS.

on more serious note, i were once interested in searching for / exploiting the buffer overruns and other bugs in common mail harvesting bots...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement