Scheme-like ML with macros?

Started by
19 comments, last by Daerax 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Hmm...care to elaborate? Neither ML nor Nemerle is pure, so I assume there's something specific in Scheme that drove you away.

This is true, there are other reasons. I could be wrong on this but I do not know that scheme supports pattern matching over algebraic datatypes or even pattern matching in general, something which is useful to me. Another major reason for me is that its syntax is in my opinion, too cumbersome. I cannot think in scheme as readily as I do in Haskell. To address your question, my language of choice at the moment is Haskell - which is pure - I do my prototyping and thinking there. Doing abstract math is very natural in Haskell as opposed to C++, C# or even scheme.

Finally, in my limited experience with the language, all of the functionality of a haskell program could be transfered with little effort to Nemerle (if not then an assembly in F# does, since Nemerle sometimes has some typing issues in certain areas leading to things having to be expressed oververbosely in a way it can understand), whose syntax also moves easily in my mind. Also Nemerle's metacapabilities are quite nice and powerful as such things go* (a cool plus is with the VS studio plugin -bitch to compile and integrate - your homebrew syntax highlights!) and it mixes functional with OOP quite nicely in my naive opinion. So it strikes a nice balance.

*my favourite example of this is the support for concurrency done by implementing most of Polyphonic C#'s (as it was) feature set.

[Edited by - Daerax on April 18, 2007 8:03:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement