How to get glu source code

Started by
13 comments, last by Kai Sharp 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
I would really recommend rolling your own NURBS code. Firstly, NURBS are horrible when you don't understand the mechanics behind them, secondly GLU's doesn't do many things one typically needs with NURBS, and thirdly, GLU is a very strange beast that doesn't exist in all GL implementations (or at least is stuck with an old version) and seems to be on the verge of dying out.

Horrible , they realy are.
I have finished "The NURBS Book" chapter 4, and the computation is really complicated. But I will only use order 4 or order 3 spline. Besides I don't need NURBS, I only need uniform B-spline. I will consider your advice, thank you sincerely.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by V-man
If I were you, I would look elesewhere for a nicely optmized NURBS lib.

And you may look a long time. I spent quite a while about a year and a half ago trying to find a nice NURBS library, coming to the conclusion that nobody was interested. There are quite a few implementations floating around (mostly tied to a particular processor family for optimisation), but very few 3rd party NURBS libraries, and almost none that support sufficient flexibility for most uses.

Then how do you get your problem done finally?
You can get the GLU source code and SGI's base OpenGL source-code here: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/. You can browse the source code using the Source Tree link on the left.

SGI opened up the source code some time ago.
Quote:Original post by Kai Sharp
Quote:Original post by V-man
If I were you, I would look elesewhere for a nicely optmized NURBS lib.

And you may look a long time. I spent quite a while about a year and a half ago trying to find a nice NURBS library, coming to the conclusion that nobody was interested. There are quite a few implementations floating around (mostly tied to a particular processor family for optimisation), but very few 3rd party NURBS libraries, and almost none that support sufficient flexibility for most uses.

Then how do you get your problem done finally?

I rolled my own, after some fun times wrestling with the mathematics behind it. Not sure I ever quite sorted normal generation though - always a few degenerate normals coming out. I was working on CAD stuff, so I needed access to the produced mesh (not just the control points), and I also needed regular(?) subdivision - as opposed to screen-space. Maybe if this is just display code GL's implementation will work OK, but you may still need the mesh for collision detection.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I rolled my own, after some fun times wrestling with the mathematics behind it. Not sure I ever quite sorted normal generation though - always a few degenerate normals coming out. I was working on CAD stuff, so I needed access to the produced mesh (not just the control points), and I also needed regular(?) subdivision - as opposed to screen-space. Maybe if this is just display code GL's implementation will work OK, but you may still need the mesh for collision detection.

You did great job.
Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement