Blender: Position of an object?

Started by
3 comments, last by BiGF00T 16 years, 1 month ago
Good morning, nearly every day I run into a new small problem with blender but I'm getting used to it. :) This question sounds really stupid but I'll ask it anyway. Today's question is: How do I see the world coordinates of my object in Blender? After I construct something, it is sometimes not completely centered which makes it hard to be used in a game later because it will always rotate around some axis other than the real center of the object. Some turorials say I should grab the object, hold CTRL and then move it to the point where all axis-lines cross. Holding CTRL will move my object one grid at a time but if I didn't move my object on the grid all the time, then I'll always be off by a bit. If I move the object, the coordinates displayed at the bottom of the 3d view are always relative to my starting position. While this is useful for moving it around, it is not really helpful to me who tries to center something in the world. I'd have to write down all the movements I do while modelling (even the accidental ones) and then perform them the other way around. Thanks for the patience and help, BiGF00T
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
The center part of an object in Blender is the pink dot you see. Coordinates are relative to this. If you select an object and open up the Buttons Window and hit F8, you'll see the 'Mesh' box. If you hit 'Center New', it will move the pink dot ( object coordinate origin ) to the center of your selected object. If you hit 'Center Cursor', it will put the pink dot wherever your cursor thing is.

That should let you put the center of your object wherever you want.
Try Object -> Transform Properties menu (N)
Yea select the object and hit "N". If your in object mode it will be world coordinates. If your in edit mode, you can see each vertex's world and local coordinates.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Great, thanks :)
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement