Motion capture for indie game developers?

Started by
11 comments, last by wookie22 11 years, 2 months ago
A very simple solution is this:
------------------------------

position your subject next to a full length mirror at 45 degrees.
position your camera far away from the subject with high zoom to minimise perspective.
Now you will have a video of your subject from front and side on giving you all the 3D data you need.
play the video frame by frame underneath your skeleton rig and match the action frame by frame.

Best place to find full length mirrors is in places such as dance studios with the added benefit you can get the dancers to do the movements for you!
Me in a nutshell - Patchwork Personalities.
Advertisement

I love using 2D game sprite sheets as my character animation reference.

It works greats with 2 screens and it has helped me make animations way faster than I could have ever expected.

With this method the time it takes to create a pose isn't that bad.

As for cleaning it up and touching up on it I try to reference how I would move when performing the animation in real life.

I hope this helps even this is a pretty old thread.

It's not that hard. In my game I just captured movement from camera, then I wrote simple editor to manually position main points of simple skeleton frame by frame (it took me 2-3 hours) and that was all. Later I just put that data into game and draw body-parts sprites using these data.

Here you can see the results:

">

My project: Halved-Circles Mine - 2D mining-puzzle-platformer with destructible terrain and physics simulation

http://halvedcirclesmine.com | Youtube | Facebook

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement